Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just noticed a few days ago on my oldest girl, Paige, that from her hair follicles there is blood around them. It looks dried. She doesn't look discomforted or anything and she has been acting totally normally lately, but this really worries me. I gave her a bath today and gently scrubbed but it made no difference. Literally, the blood is all over her, and it looks like her hair is thinning. She's almost a year a half old, is this old age, a skin infection, cancer?? And what should I do? Has anyone had this happen to their rat. Thanks.

Diana

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Yeah it sounds like her skin is discoloured from age. :) Her hair is thinning as well? Is she a rex? It's unlikely to be blood from hair follicles so don't worry about that.

Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes her hair is thinning too. But it really looks like dried blood because its all over her. What's a rex? She's a hooded rat, I know that much. I'll try to get a pic, she's really fussy about when I spread her hair to look at it. Thanks a lot, I hope it is just age.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
A rex rat has curly or wavy or even some fur that looks crimped and they often have curly whiskers. Its a coat type. A regular rat is called standard. Rex's are prone to thinning coats after a year or so. The reddish colour could be excessive sebum (oil from her sebaceous glands near her hair follicles). Is she cleaning herself properly or do you think she isn't doing as good a job as she used to?

Here's my agouti rex girl Aura

and Kismet (called Frizzy Kizzy because her coat is wavy instead of curly)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
could it be mites or possible some other parasitic infection?

they are extremely hard to see but they will bite & feed off the rats thus leaving the dried blood on them & it will also result in some hair loss

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
may have never considered those actions to be indicative of an underlying issue

just tossing out what comes to mind because so often it is impossible to have a clear picture of what is going on by the few words we read

Since she said it was a girl that ruled out the presence of buck grease so "blood around hair" sounds like maybe like it could be bugs

I dunno... best to explore all ideas & follow up with a vet

I have a couple questions for crazychick

Did the "blood" come off when you bathed her & then reappeared or did bathing her not remove the coloration? (wonders if it is not blood but something else)

How often do you bath her & what type of soap do you use?

& as lilspaz pointed out

have you noticed scratching or the presence of scabs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I've been away for the weekend and had no time to get on a computer. Okay, well no the blood didn't come off when I bathed her, it did look a little better but it is still there. I use kitten shampoo when I bath her. I haven't noticed her scratching or anything weird like that, she's just been cleaning herself like normal, nothing out of the ordinary. It is getting better though I have noticed, there is still blood but her skin is more pink than it was before.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If it didn't wash off then I don't believe it was blood.

The boys have buck grease. That is the orange/red looking stuff you will hear mentioned from time to time.

Even though the girls don't have buck-grease I have seen girls with patchy discolorations very similar from time to time. Most times you can see this very easily on the naked girls, orangey-reddish blemishes. I don't think it is anything to be concerned with.

I have also heard of skin conditions that cause discoloration because of diet. The debate of what to feed & what not to feed is an ongoing discussion. It depends on who you ask as to what you will be told. It is also a regional issue because some places don't carry the same products that other places readily have. If you really feel a sense of concern about this discoloration then you may want to consider the diet you feed them. Maybe you can list what it is they are eating. Maybe someone has had a similar experience with certain foods.

Glad to hear she is doing fine other than having her human Mommy worried about her complexion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts