Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm older,and have my own place,I want to have a rattery,breeding,and rescuing.I like the name for it to be..."hairless little wonders"I want to mainly have hairlesses,but I'm read that hairless rats generally aren't very good mothers alot of the time,is that true? :?:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pic didn't come up :(

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hairless does can have problems lactating, which would result in them killing the pups or the pups starving.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok,then I'll try breeding hairless bucks with furred does,thank you

·
Registered
798 Posts
...I think breeding defeats the purpose of rescueing, you have your heart in the right place, but I think you should really consider that by breeding rats you're contributing to the problem and you're adding to the population that could one day need rescuing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
huh,yea,then I'll just have a rescue,and good non feeding homes can adopt some=)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think that would probably be your best option :) glad you're not protesting like a lot do, you're being sensible about it, I think most of the hype that people get about breeding is the fact that they want to have babies in their home, and watch them grow up. I'm going to be fostering rats as soon as my hamsters are all adopted out, and when I foster I'll be more than likely getting females, and with females comes pregnancy, so I'll be able to watch the babies grow, AND watch them find lovely homes :) its a win win situation, for you and the rat :D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Of course, I'm going to agree that we need more rescues then anything else. :D And, if you're baby crazy, you will have babies while running a rescue. In fact, we've had more babies then adults, when you look at all our numbers. :p They're cute and fun, but they're WORK!

Anyhow, I and others can provide lots of good tips and info on running a rescue. I think Rodere from RRR is at these forums too. Not sure if there are others? Maybe someone from The Grotto?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would love to start a rescue at some point in time also, but I have to think about the rats, if I start a rescue I'm afraid that rehoming them will be nearly impossible in my area. :( there already is a rescue around here though, so maybe I'll just help them out however I can.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mabe,you could have a rescue of your own,and if they get to many,or are suddenly unable to accomedate all of their rats,you can take some off of their hands,like if alot of theirs have babies,and they don't have enough room for them all,but its just a thought

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm going to actually become a foster parent to a pregnant mommy as soon as my baby hammies are adopted out. I was told I would be put at the top of the list, and I cannot wait. I'll have babies without having bred rats I love it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That's great, too. :D You'll love fostering, I'm sure. All mine do! :) (I just brought one girl back from quarantine, and her foster mommy wanted so badly to have her, but she couldn't quarantine if she did... She loves it THAT much that she said a tearful goodbye (the girl is hopefully getting adopted Saturday) and said she's ready for more. :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just a side note about the hairless Mommies. My Fluffy is a great Mommie but she did have trouble with lactation or at least I think this is whats happening. She had a very small litter, only 5. She has been great with them. On day 19 I found one that had passed & we have no idea why because there was no sign of illness.

I'm still not convinced that the baby starved since they were nibbling food & showing interest in the water bottle but something is happening that is not quite right with Fluffy's milk production. I always wash my hands prior to handling the babies. That morning I discovered one wasn't moving I reached in right away while my hands were still wet... I hadn't stop to dry them because I was in such a hurry... the other four were on me like lightning, licking the moisture from my hand. They were definitely thirsty.

I continued giving them water & they drank like crazy. I immediately put 2 & 2 together... they were suckling but I think Mom was not producing, at least not producing enough. I have been supplementing with esbilac ever since. My routine is to dribble some on my fingers & hand & reach in & let the babies come to me. They gang pile on my hand & I bring each one out, one at a time & feed them with the tiniest eye dropper I could find. They are doing great. Mom even drinks a dropper full from time to time.

Its a lot of work but in the end it is worth it & the benefit is that they will be much more bonded to their human Mommy.

So as a little advice to anyone with female hairless that think they may have a litter (for that matter, have it on hand for any expectant litter)... be preparred, get a can of esbilac, a tiny eyedropper & have it on hand just in case. Also take into consideration that the babies need to be feed every 2 to 3 hours. (especially within the first couple weeks)

I asked around & you can freeze the esbilac into small cubes & take out just what you plan to use. If you keep it in the liquid form it only last 72 hours & that means a LOT of waste. At 5 dollars a can, you don't want to waste it. I froze what I didn't immediately use it into very small cubes. When I thaw it I mix it 50/50 with water. I do this now but started off with a tad bit more water than formula for the first couple of feedings. Lastly, feed them slow because rats can't burp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts