Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so my parents are being mean and insisting I keep Bilbo outside. He usually has an outside cage during the day and an inside one at night. I can put him in the shed at night but I'm not allowed to have him in the house. I live in South Australia so we get temperatures ranging from -3 to 45 degrees celsius. I usually take him inside if it's over 27 degrees or under 10, does that sound OK for him? We don't have many predators to worry about and his cage is right outside my window. His cage has a sheltered lower story and is under a veranda too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey, so my parents are being mean and insisting I keep Bilbo outside. He usually has an outside cage during the day and an inside one at night. I can put him in the shed at night but I'm not allowed to have him in the house. I live in South Australia so we get temperatures ranging from -3 to 45 degrees celsius. I usually take him inside if it's over 27 degrees or under 10, does that sound OK for him? We don't have many predators to worry about and his cage is right outside my window. His cage has a sheltered lower story and is under a veranda too.
Where he's outside during the day and inside at night, the difference in temperature could potentially be harmful down the road if it keeps fluctuating. Pet rats are meant to be indoor animals for 99% of the time..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes I've seen people have rats on leashes like dogs and that is stupid they are indoor pets period...And with those temperatures they would not survive...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know he wouldn't survive outside in those temperatures, that's why I bring him in. I just need to know if this [probably temporary] arrangement would affect his health.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is not a good idea at all. Not only would the temperature fluctuations be harmful, he could be exposed to harmful pathogens and germs that pet rats aren't accustomed to while he is outside--their respiratory systems are delicate. Rats are not meant to be outside pets, and I'm sorry that your parents are being ignorant about this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts