Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Kaylee's behaviour has improved dramatically over the last couple of months, she still doesn't trust me or my other half enough to touch her or hold her and I am concerned about her front paw.

I noticed this morning she wasn't jumping about like normal and was a little unsteady on her feet. On closer examination I noticed she was holding her front paw up and wasn't putting any weight on it. I noticed that she had done this for a couple of second before, more often if she was standing at the side of her cage looking cute as the food bag made its way to her. However even as she climbed into bed with her sister who wanted to play with her, she still had it curled up and I am worried that she has really hurt it.
It doesn't look swollen and from the little I could see there are no open wounds or anything. She is also behaving normally and there is no squeaking or that weird little puff she does when she's annoyed so I can't tell how bad it is.
I don't want to freak out and take her to the vet if it's only something small as it would probably cause more stress on her due to her not liking to be touched, I can't even have a proper look at it so I doubt a vet would be able to.

I guess i'm just looking for some advice on what to do as I don't want her to be in pain

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't worry. You should see some of the bruising and swelling my rats have incurred just jumping around their cage. I'm sure by now it's totally resolved. You did the right thing to watch for swelling and normal behavior. The two primary concerns are infection and severe swelling - which if severe enough could cut off circulation to the toes or extremities.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts