Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor fellas have had lice for some time now and with countless visits to the vet I think the lice have gotten immune to the Ivermectin and Revolution. It isn't doing a thing for them, I have also tried different sprays, from Petco as well as kept up on their cage 3 days a week (at 4 hours at a time) i also use a lice combs and gently comb through them to get the lice out. But I can't seem to get rid of them. What else can I do for them? I hate seeing them go through this and afraid health wise and want them to life a lice free life. But I am at a loss. Please help what can I do for them??

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That's a hard situation. The whole cage, all the bedding, hammocks, anything that has been in their room or play area has to be thrown out or washed in hot hot water. At the same time, you treat the rats, first by combing all the lice out, manually remove as many lice and their eggs, then treating with meds. It's like lice on humans, very difficult to get completely rid of them but it can be done. You have to break the cycle. Good luck!

Reactions: Enne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Does putting oil (coconut oil, etc?) on them really help? Can i dilute lice shampoo or would that be too harmful to them? I don't want to hurt them what so ever. I just feel like I am failing them as a pet owner and its breaking my heart. I dont know what the lice eggs look like but I just don't know what other medicine I can use if those two meds don't help. When I gave them their first treatment I went as far as buying a brand new cage, I dont use any pine, anything I buy i freeze for 3 days to a week. I make sure I buy new padding for their cage every time I clean it. Its expensive but they are worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh my gosh, I just tried the extra virgin oil, left it on for about 5 minutes then took Dawn shampoo and bathed them, (they aren't to happy right now though) and I can hardly see any lice on them at all. I might have to do it one more in a couple of days or a week, but this is this first time in what seems like forever i have seen them with hardly any lice!! They haven't even scratched yet, which they may but I hope not. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THEM TO LIVE A NORMAL LICE FREE LIVE!!!😄😄😄

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Make sure you clean ALL their bedding, wash their hammocks and change the litter today. It only takes a couple of lice to start the problem again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts