Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an opinion about how soon you should give a "widowed" rat a new playmate? Does age of the new one matter? Can anyone provide examples of how they handle quarantine and introductions?

In the mean time, what do I do if Dax won't let me pet her now? This morning I chirpped to her and called good morning and opened the cage like I always do. Last night was the firsa night Dax had spent without Kira. I heard a srabble in the hidey-box and Dax seem to launch out of it, rush to the side of her house and sniff my fingers. But then she dropped back down to all fours and went back into the box. She only came out later to get the pieces of bread with her antibiotics on it, and then curled up in the waaaay back of the box. Usually in the morninig, as soon as the coffee pot starts clicking, Dax is up and running around like a crazy lady wanting pets and treats. I don't know how to explain to her that Kira isn't coming back. I don't know if her little rattie mind will forget more quickly if she has a new playmate right away?

I'm just so sad.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Dax is mourning :(

I would get her 2 babies and put them in a 2 week QT ASAP.

do you have an off-site QT location? If not you can do a partial in your home. but I'll wait until you let me know what QT options you have.

You could get 2 older babies and then since little Dax is only 5 months old they can grow up together. When I had smaller amounts of rats I preferred having 3 cagemates just in case you lose one then the oteher 2 are still together.

Intro's with babies, esp,. young females are the easiest intro's out there. I will get more into that later on.

I always have to remember that I am at work and can't get into too many lengthy posts. LOL

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm just going to agree with lilspaz. Feel free to get a couple of new buddies (Judziah and Ezri?) as soon as you like and start the quarantine process. After that, you should be able to put them together and within no time everyone will be happy again.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Some friends would probably help her immensely. Very sorry for the loss of your other girl.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So sorry to hear about your and Dax's loss!

I actually have questions about this myself, however, mine are with un-neutered boys.

There's an age difference of several months between Gus and Boo. If things go as they usually do, Gus, the elder, will pass on before Boo does. By this time, though, (hopefully,) they will both be "old men."

How should I help Boo (or Gus, if it turns out the other way) through the mourning process? Will he accept another rat or two rats into his life, or will he simply hate them, because they aren't his "brother?"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts