Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Okay, so this is a cage that was given to me by a friend whose had rats in the past (and none now). The measurements are 30" height x 30" width x 14" depth. I know it looks alittle dirty at the moment, but I'm not getting my rats for a month and I'm going to thoroughly clean it before then. I put the measurements through the rat cage calculator and it said that it could possibly house 3 rats at one time. What do you think about this cage?

And just some extra info, it'll be housing (if I use it) two males.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
How big is the bar spacing?

·
Registered
489 Posts
i have a bigger version of that...young rats can slip by. so either cover it or get a more full grown rat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Oh, and you'd need to cover the second story with something. linolium(sp?) stick on tiles is what i used.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, if I measured the spaces correctly: It's 1" up and down and 2" side to side.
I'm going to be getting baby rats, so I'm planning on getting another cage for that stage. Do you know how big/small of a cage they'd be able to stay in until ready to transfer into that one?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just put hardware mesh over the one you have until they're too big to slip out. It's cheaper than buying another proper cage. You can even get the powder-coated stuff if you want it to look a little better. It seems like a decent cage, it just needs a little work and a little love to make it a nice ratty home. :-D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lostbutnotforgot said:
Just put hardware mesh over the one you have until they're too big to slip out. It's cheaper than buying another proper cage. You can even get the powder-coated stuff if you want it to look a little better. It seems like a decent cage, it just needs a little work and a little love to make it a nice ratty home. :-D
Alright :)
I'm not sure how exactly to put hardware mesh over the cage/fasten it. Any tips?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts