Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a DCN cage with three girls. I have tons of toys, I use fleece bedding. The fleece I’m using for there bedding right now is new (it’s only been on for 1.5 days). I do small spot cleans daily or every other day (like wiping the Sputnik). I deep clean once a week using a water/vinegar mix, and always add some things that still smell like them after cleaning, so they don’t sent mark everything. I take out every tray when I deep clean and I both wipe with the cleaning mix and I spray some and let it dry. The fleece gets changed too. I just deep cleaned yesterday but today it smells bad. Really bad. I’m not sure why, I looked all over for a potential cause for the smell and I can’t find it. I did move a lot around this deep clean and added different toys for enrichment. Idk if that would change anything but maybe. Any suggestions? I’m going to scrub down all the bars tomorrow, but I don’t know if that is the cause. Advice on how to keep a better smelling rat cage?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Fleece has terrible absorption. I'd recommend adding litter boxes with something like kiln dried wood shavings for them to use. Otherwise you're gonna be changing all the fleece in the cage every 2-3 days if you don't want it to stink.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Try giving them several litter boxes with a flat stone or even part of a paperback book. They like to pee on flat things. I'll bet your girls are pulling the fleece back and peeing on the plastic trays. In the bottom of my DCNs I have a big litter box and also a dig box. The 'basement' is much easier to clean.

Reactions: Enne

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this issue and I purchased an air filter. It makes a HUGE difference. However, I agree with above posters you need a litterbox. I currently have a plastic shoebox in a corner where I noticed a lot more poop and pee. They still go other areas however alot ends up in the pan. I also added a rock in there and they love it and love peeing on it lol. I noticed less smell when I did that. As far as litter I use carefresh (currently contemplating a change) and then exquisicat paper unscented bedding for the litter pan. I do the same for my hammy and she also uses the litter pan more than anything.

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
554 Posts
TBH after about a week more you will be immune to the smell Lol!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just wanna pop in and say that 9/10 times when my cage starts to really smell it's something fabric they decided to really really mark up. If you have hammocks try giving them a sniff check. Maybe because they are up high they just seem to disperse smell more efficiently, which is to say they stink SO badly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts