Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy recently died, but now I don't know what to do with my other rattie. I'm giving him all the love and attention I can but I know that wont be enough. I'm not the same species as him and I cant give him the same affection a rat housemate can. I don't think ill be able to handle getting another rat, am I being selfish?

He's 2 years and 6 months old. I was thinking about putting him to rest, but I don't know. Should I euthanize him? I feel bad putting him to sleep, selfish and unreasonable. He deserves to live a long and happy life with others. I don't think he will be happy alone and I feel really bad as much as I want to keep him. I've seen options about giving him away, but I don't think I'm able to do that. Its selfish I know but I just cant give him away to someone.

I just need opinions. What you think I should do or what you would do in this situation.

·
Registered
5 rats, 6 cats, a dog, a snake, a bearded dragon, and fish
44 Posts
are you planning to continue having rats? if so, i would recommend getting maybe two younger rats, tho they might tire him out quickly, but it would keep him from being alone, and in the event of his passing, you’d still have two rats and not need to worry about the situation repeating itself.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
At that age, your rattie can live out his remaining days alone if you give him lots and lots of attention. No need to euthanize him, that's only if their quality of life is no longer there. If he's in good health, and you don't want more rats, please consider a rescue, they will gladly take him. We call it 'twilight', meaning they stay with us until their time comes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why are you considering euthanising a rat with no health problems? Thats pretty horrid.
Put him up for adoption.
It is terrible of me, I agree. I was recklessly writing the question in tears without thinking. I didn't do much research about it either, so no worries. He'll be fine. No euthanizing here. I know I wouldn't morally be able too anyways. Its selfish to rob him of a happy life he deserves. /nm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At that age, your rattie can live out his remaining days alone if you give him lots and lots of attention. No need to euthanize him, that's only if their quality of life is no longer there. If he's in good health, and you don't want more rats, please consider a rescue, they will gladly take him. We call it 'twilight', meaning they stay with us until their time comes.
Thank you, I will definitely consider that. Where exactly could I find a rescue that takes rats? Is there a website for one of them? I cant find it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Thank you, I will definitely consider that. Where exactly could I find a rescue that takes rats? Is there a website for one of them? I cant find it.
Where are you located? I'm in Maryland, near DC. You can call your local human society and find out if they know of a small animal rescue in your area. It's the kindest thing you can do

Reactions: Mkd

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
88 Posts
TinyToes is right about relinquishing your boy to a rescue. I’m on the other side of the country from TinyToes (San Diego, CA), we’ve got a wonderful small animal rescue here. Definitely check locally. I’ve fostered relinquished boys who’ve lost their cage mates, even managed to introduce an intact older boy (2+ years old) to a quartet of spayed females. They doted on him and he had a WONDERFUL final year surrounded by adoring female rats. Look at the potential for your boy to have a great retirement, and find a rescue to take him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts