Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried making sock hammocks and buying a ferret hammock. Every bit of fabric I put in the cage, the rat eats through.
How do you all seem to keep your rats from eating fabric?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I wish I knew!

Actually, I think I might have finally found a solution (at least for my rats). I normally make double layered tube hammocks and to prevent my hairless from chewing through to get in between the layers I just string another piece of fleece through (attached to the hammock with safety pins).

My boys also like to tear up and hide under their fleece flooring so I just throw a few scraps (1-2 foot squares) of fabric in the cage for them to do what they want with.

So far it's worked OK, but it's only been 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Generally, they don't actually *eat* the fabric. They chew it. Most owners don't, actually, prevent it. Some rats do it, some don't. Many do, though. :)

I, personally, just put up with it. We go through lots of fleece, hammocks and towels. All a part of having rats.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My girls tend to get extra chew-y if they're bored. I've noticed, particularly on weekends, that if I skip two or three out-times (not days, just times, they usually get two to four a day) in a row, the hammocks and other things that can be destroyed in their cage take the heat for it.

Not saying that your rats are bored, some are just chewers, but it's a thought, because I know that's how my girls work.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a bunch of old towels that I use for my ratties, they look like swiss cheese! I use them until there's nothing left, then get more cheapie towels for 'em. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've found that if you put a big heap of socks, towels, etc. right in the hammock, they won't feel the need to chew it up and make their own fabric scraps. :]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts