Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alpha rat is always starting fights with the others to keep them in line I guess, and she got in a particularly bad fight last night. Someone bit her eye and it almost looks like an outer film to her eye is torn and her pupil is bleeding/super red. It's also all fogged up, so I guess she's blind in that eye now. She's acting completely normal, but I'm really worried a bad infection is going to form. I'm putting an antibiotic on her eye three or so times a day and separated her from the rest, although she keeps trying to clean off the medicine. I also have some pain killer left over from my other rat's neuter surgery a few weeks ago. Am I doing everything right? I love her and don't want this to cause her death.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
No she definitely needs to see a vet for something like this. If it's not being treated with the proper antibiotics, she could need eye surgery or be put to sleep from an infection that spreads (and with an infection so close to the brain, I would really rather not risk any infection forming and spreading in the head). What do you mean "putting antibiotic on her eye"? I think putting ABs on her eye that's not specifically medicated eye drops are probably doing more harm than good, and probably really stings. Definitely take her to the vet or it can turn bad fast for an open eyeball wound.

If you don't have a scale at home and know her weight, and the concentration of the meds then you won't be able to accurately give her the proper dose. Too little could have no effect, too much could be harmful. But if you have those two bits of info, try using this to get her the ammount she needs: http://ratclub.org/dose_general.htm Also go on ratguide.com to find out what dose you need to give her depending on what meds it is (I'm assuming it's meloxicam?)

I hope she gets well soon! This sounds pretty serious, poor little girl. Probably doesn't feel nice either to have her eye opened up! :( Please let us know how she's doing and what the vet says!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts