Rat Forum banner

Have you ever had to force-feed your rat antibiotics?

• Yes, and we have never been the same.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but it did not seem to affect him at all.

• No, because he ate it in (baby food, peanut butter, etc, etc.)

• No, because he liked his antibiotics.

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On baytril and he won't take it mixed in anything.

Twice a day, I have to force him to take it by "shoving" (not hurting) the syringe in his mouth. I try to make the whole experience as quick as possible for him.

I've had PLENTY of experience with this as I've fostered dozens and dozens of kittens, many of which had to take Albon for internal parasites this way.

The cats, on the one hand, seem to recover emotionally rather quickly, but Terrance seems much less happy about being picked up at all. I try to encourage him before, during, and after he takes it, but he still seems more on edge than normal. Oh, I should mention that his infection hasn't really been bothering him behaviorally, so that's most likely not the cause of his seemingly on-edge...-ness.

What can I do to make this force feeding less detrimental to our bonding?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bribe him with something he loves afterwards, and talk softly to him. It does work, but there may be a period of sulking. They get over it though. xx

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
What have you tried mixing it with? Baytril is pretty icky, so if you have a picky rat you'd probably need something with a strong taste to overpower it. My rat ate it mixed with plain oatmeal, but I probably could have just squirted it into his mouth, as long as he got a yogie afterwards. He was very easygoing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had to force feed a few of my rats. Some take it better than others. Some have given me the cold shoulder for a while after but they quickly got over it.
There has even been some rats that have become friendlier after forcing the medicine. I think the constant one on one made them enjoy me more.
When I do force it, there's also some cuddle time and a treat time.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i've had to mix some powder in milk before, and Tuxedo hated it so much...i tried peanut butter, yogurt, cheese, bread...finally i just mixed it with the milk and squirted it into his mouth slowly, but he didn't sulk for too long afterward.

·
Registered
506 Posts
mine are taking it right now. They squeak and whine while we make them take it but they are fine after. They like to take it out on the syringe things I think. They chew on them afterwards lol. Emotionally they seem fine. The only sulking I noticed was after the vet gave one a shot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My little old lady is on an antibiotic and an anti-inflamitory right now and its been rough. The problem is she has a luxated jaw, so i don't want to be too rough with her. What really gets me is when i mix the meds with baby food that she has really liked and then she decided she doesn't want to eat it. I'm afraid I'm just waisting the meds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts