Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat is used to running around my apartment while I watch her. I used to be able to pick her up and put her back in her cage (which she shares with another rat that doesn't like to come out). Now she is becoming the boss of me, and when she starts to chew on something she shouldn't, like a door, and I try to pick her up and take her away, she squeals, squirms, and today she put her teeth around my finger. She used to be a sweet rat. How can I get her to be nice again?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
With love and kindness in your heart, you swat or bop her and if need be raise your voice when she gets out of line.

Our girl Misty was slashing my answering machine wires with impunity and refused to come when called and getting completely out of control until I really got angry at her the other day and now she's all sweet and wonderful again. She even went to her cage at bed time on her own. I'm a soft touch too and my rats eventually push it too far, usually to the point when I really get upset.... once they have seen me lose my temper, they usually don't test me again, at least for a while.... or rather they seem to know when I'm serious and stop being spoiled brats before I lose my cool.

Rats are really very smart and intuitive, they can understand your feelings and are really great at predicting your responses. They will push you to your limits, once they know what they are. What's really strange is that as soon as I start to get irritated, our big and well behaved rat will come out and run interference for her great niece who's the trouble maker.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Agree with Rat Daddy. These are the times i wish rats were a little more stupied.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts