Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
I have 3 rats Nemo boo and jabbawockee
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys my rat unexpectedly had baby's last night and well she keeps burying them in her bedding and I don't understand why is that normal or should I be worried

Ps this is my first time have rat baby's I've only ever had adult rats

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, mother rats will bury their litter in her nest, especially when they are very new. Are there any other rats in the cage with the mum and babies? Definitely shouldn't have any males in with her. Also have you found any links about how to care for a new rat litter? These ones might be helpful.

Make sure the mother has access to unlimited food and water. Cashews are said to be good for milk production.
If you have any other questions, just ask. There are lots of people on the forum who might be able to help.

·
Registered
Cloud (Dark Phased Pearl) and Dew (American Mink)
581 Posts
Give her a lot of privacy, she’s probably making a nest for her babies. We have a lot of posts about litters here, to find them you can go to the bar at the top that says “search community” and type in “rat litters”.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would interpret that as the same "hiding" behavior I see with rats who try to cover their food dishes. She's not trying to "bury" them - but rather she's "protecting" them from potential predators. It's not likely to hurt the kits and will probably allow her to move away from the litter for a few moments of movements; eating; drinking; etc.

·
Registered
I have 3 rats Nemo boo and jabbawockee
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for helping like I said I'm a first time rat baby owner or grandparents as some people say so I'm just trying to take as best care of momma and her baby's as I can

1 - 6 of 6 Posts