Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I haven’t posted in a while, but one of my two boys has started chewing his leg. I will attach some photos, and I’m working on a vet appointment, but until then, does anyone have any ideas for how to eat him to stop?

Skin Hand Textile Gesture Nail
Skin Hand Vertebrate Dog breed Dog

Reactions: GalacTayCat

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,717 Posts
Aw, poor baby! I am not sure what could be causing this behavior. But I just noticed my Oliver Bean chewing on his toenail, like really chewing and pulling on it. I wonder if it's dry skin this time of year, an irritation that they make worse by licking and chewing. Kinda like a dog does sometimes? In the meantime, clean the area with hydrogen peroxide and see if you can wash it. Bacteria and dead skin can be very itchy.

Good to see you again, btw!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi! I highly recommend a product called Blu - Kote or wound kote. What it does is it creates a protective layer over the wound that prevents the rat from scratching at it. When the rat does scratch at it, it scratches the blu kote and not the wound. Blu kote also helps heal the wound and has bacteria killing properties.
How to apply: Spray 3 layers of it onto the wound. Wait for each layer to dry before applying another. Warning: The spray is purple and will stain anything that is sprayed. I recommend using a cotton ball and dabbing it in the wound. They sell it at fleet farm and tractor supply co. I wish you the best of luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts