Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to long ago my rat started sneezing, which I chalked it up to a URI. And he got a lump under his throat (which seemed to be a swollen lymph node from the sneezing). I took him to the vet and got steroids only to realize he was not responding to them. It started getting worse though, he started sounding super congested when he breathed. I took him to the vet and they gave him steroids and baytril for my mouse who had been sneezing. A few days went by and he started doing it constantly, he even then started gasping for air because his nose seemed so congested. I didn’t know what to do so I took him into the steamy shower and he sneezed up a lot of crap. I’m scared it was blood but I’m thinking it was a lot of porphyrin. After that he has been breathing a lot better! Then the next day he started doing it again, the congestion sounds... I was worried, called another vet, and called again but since Arthur has been moving, eating and drinking a lot it’s not a big worry. I started giving him a little of the baytril, doxy and the steroids but it hasn’t seem to be doing anything at all. So I was running out of options and I heard about childrens Benadryl. I gave him a tiny bit and he then slept and breathed great. I was super happy, but today he started doing it again and I gave him some and his nose still doesn’t sound clear? How often and how much can I give him. I love him so dearly and I’ve already spent SO much money on him but I’ll do it again so he can get better but it doesn’t seem like there is anything I can do from how much I am calling the vet, emailing them, etc. I’m not sure how to insert the video, but I also posted on Reddit so I will try and attack a URL. https://www.reddit.com/r/RATS/comments/n2viyx

·
Registered
785 Posts
I wish I could be of some help, but I really don't know what else you can do. Sounds like you've tried everything. URI's are a terrible thing, and so hard to cure sometimes.

Reactions: Rats4All

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I could be of some help, but I really don't know what else you can do. Sounds like you've tried everything. URI's are a terrible thing, and so hard to cure sometimes.
Thank you for commenting though. I’m gonna just keep trying the best I can. I love him so much, I just don’t want anything terrible to happen...:(

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Do you have the medicine bottles? Do they say how many mg/ml? Without knowing the strength of the medicine (mg/ml) and the weight of your rat, there's no way of knowing if you're giving him a strong enough dose. If it's been many days of antibiotics with no change in symptoms, you might be underdosing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts