Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am worried my rat has started making weird noises today. I was wondering if anyone elses had or had any tips. I think it maybe a respritory problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does it when it is breathing in and out and it sounds like wheezing. I tried giving her a bath, i got rid of the pine stuff (that stuff is evil), I gave her a steam bath and let her sit on the side of the bath with a napkin.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you get a picture of your rat in replacement of the head with a question mark? Just wondering.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If she was on pine, then it probably is an upper respiritory (sp?) infection. She'll need to go to the vet for that so she can get some medicine. Are the other rats that she's in the cage with wheezing as well?

To change your avatar, click on your profile. On the left hand side of the screen, there will be a box with a bunch of links (named "My account tools"). Click on "my avatar", which is under the "personal" heading.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My rats have seperate cages otherwise they will fight :( i wish they would get along together.

Is there any other way to help besides going to the vet?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my naked rat, winkie doesn't weeze and she was on pine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found something online that can help if your rat has respritory problems get a asthma inhaler and squirt it in the way the rat is facing. It works! Thank you for helping me!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Pine is AWFUL for rats... if you want wood shavings, the only one that is okay for rats is Aspen. Carefresh, aspen, Yesterday's News, and fleece are all MUCH, MUCH better. Please understand that the pine can actually kill your rats.

You will need to take your rat to the vet. If she's been on pine, it's probably pretty serious. In the future, you may want to place a humidifier by the cage (my girls have breathing problems, but it's all environmental, since I live in a very old house- the humidifier works wonders).

Also, your girls need to be in a cage with at least one other girl. Rats are extremly social animals and need another rat around. How bad were their fights getting? The key is basically "no blood, no foul". Rats "fight" a lot to establish dominance, but it is typically just fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
pooky said:
I found something online that can help if your rat has respritory problems get a asthma inhaler and squirt it in the way the rat is facing. It works! Thank you for helping me!
There is no way you should be medicating a rat with albuterol. They already have a very fast heart rate and the albuterol is a stimulant that will speed up her heart rate even further. She will get high and it could cause a heart attack. You have no way of measuring how much medication the rat would be inhaling and she could easily overdose.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Whoa... we posted at the same time and I didn't even realize it. Alx is right, an inhaler would be HORRIBLE. Inhalers make my heart race... imagine what it would do to something that small?

·
Registered
113 Posts
My borther uses and inhaler, and he's nearly 6'4" tall! I know nothing about rat meds (or ANY meds for that matter) but I know using an inhaler on a rat would be a very bad idea.
(Your icon is kinda huge. Could you make it a bit smaller? Sorry if I sound cranky ><)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think i have a humidigier. My rats will fight with eachother that is why they are in seperate cages. can someone help me introduce eachother?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pookie has stopped making the noises. i transfered her into winkies cage after i cleaned it and put newspaper in instead. The rats are not fighting :). i am planning on leaving them the way they are over night please suggest more things to me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
now they are displaying dominance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
pooky you need to take Pookie to the vet. The fact that she's stopped making noises does not mean she's well again. Please have her looked at. Do you have a good rat vet?

Dominance displays and rough housing are all normal. The general rule with rats is "no blood no foul". If they aren't drawing blood on each other they are probably fine and just dominance fighting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just started a vaporizer for the room. i hope it helps.

·
Registered
393 Posts
pooky said:
i just started a vaporizer for the room. i hope it helps.
Regardless of whether it helps with the symptoms it will not eliminate the problem. Please be a responsible pet owner and take your rat to the vet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have convinced my dad that i need to take pooky to the vet. we will be going there this weekend on saturday. thank you all very much and one more thing do you know any good vets in the austin,texas area? I heard lakeline was a good vet for dogs and cats.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts