Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Rats
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rat with cancer and she’s around 2 years old. She has a big tumour on her side and she’s lost a lot of weight recently, probably because of declining health. I’ve been feeding her high-fat foods, like avocado, recently to try and help put on some weight but I think it might be making her really dry and itchy because she keeps scratching at herself. It’s not mites or fleas, I can’t see any on her and I’ve been giving all my rats mite treatment for a while as a precaution. There’s this one gash on her back, on her shoulder blades, that’s she’s been scratching at for a while. I tried separating her from my other two rats because they’re younger and more energetic than her, and they often want to play fight. I thought maybe they were the ones that kept opening her wound during their play fighting, but I kept them in separate halves of the cage for two days and her wound keeps opening, so it must be her. I tried putting some of that vet gauze stuff on her so it could scab and heal, but it’s in such an awkward position and due to the tumour on her side, it’s impossible to put any bandage on her. And she just wriggles out of it, anyway.
I tried putting some iodine antiseptic ointment on it but it’s useless if she won’t let the wound heal. I don’t know what to do. Every day it’s bleeding and I feel so bad for her. I know I’ll have to put her down eventually once she starts having trouble breathing because of her cancer, but I don’t think it’s time yet. She’s still cuddling with the other rats and eating and waddling about and grooming herself and drinking.
I’ve trimmed her claws but she can still hurt herself. I’ll attach some photos of her wound and her tumour for reference. Any help is appreciated.
Leg Human body Gesture Snout Nail

Mammal Masked Shrew Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hi.
Aww, poor girl. That looks really sore.
Would it be an option to take her to the vet? I wonder if they have some sort of local anaesthetic cream or something that can be applied to help her leave it alone.
Do you think it is related to the tumour? Like referred pain/irritation, or maybe just general low immunity from the tumour?
All the best for her. I hope something comes up that you can do for her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts