Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past couple of days my little rat baby Remi has lost a lot of weight and become quite a bit withdrawn. She stopped eating and didn't seem to be drinking much. She's cold to the touch and shaky and just cries. She's on an antibiotic from the vet cause they thought it was respiratory but I'm not sure if that is helping out that that's the problem

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
did this happen suddenly or has it come on and got worse? When you say she cries can you get a video of the noises she makes. Is she flank breathing at all?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Poor little thing.. I hope you can figure out what's wrong soon. Try feeding with a syringe some baby food and leave a shallow dish that she can eat on her own. It will help get food into her and a little water. Give water with a syringe too. Ensure is also great, as is soy infant formula. Even try a high quality wet cat food and see if she will eat that. For now, if she's ill, eating anything is better than eating nothing. My sick/old ratties tend to like baby food that is either chicken or turkey based and mixed with hot water and some rice baby cereal. Watered down peanut butter is also a favorite, and sometimes if they refuse to drink plain water from a syringe, smash pieces of watermelon and suck up the juices with a syringe and they may like that better. Ensure also adds the extra calories, and so far everyone has liked the chocolate flavor.

Definitely find a different vet and get a second opinion, but I know how hard it is to find a half decent rat vet.. It does not sound like just a respiratory issue at all. At least try to get some pain meds for her which might help her feel a little better until you find the actual cause of the problem. Call the vet you just saw and ask for pain meds.

I hope you figure out what's wrong soon and she feels better very soon!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts