Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that rats cannot throw up, but a few minutes ago one of mine did something really weird!

I have been out of lab blocks for about two weeks now (money issues, unfortunately :( but I did keep protein in their diet with other foods in the mean time) and today the new ones I bought finally came in! My two rats were very excited to have them back, so I put about six blocks in their bowl so that they could stash some for later.

My little rat, Wink, sat still as he ate what I realized later was two and a half blocks in one sitting. He drank quite a bit of water afterward, and went back to munching his third block. Suddenly he stopped and held still for a moment before doing something I've never seen him do before!

He stretched out and stuck his tongue out like he was about to yawn, but then he began to twitch and suddenly watery lab block dripped out of his mouth. I reached out to him and he did it again, on my finger :( It was definitely just lab block and water, and he looked very uneasy and shake-y afterwards.

Can anyone tell me what happened to my rat? I know that he definitely overate, but I also know that rats cannot vomit. I thought at first that he might have been choking, but everything that he spit up was watery and there were no chunks at all. I will be keeping a close eye on him incase something else happens to him. Thank you for any response that I get!

·
Registered
322 Posts
They cannot vomit but they can regurgitate. Sounds like your ratty just ate too fast, he'll be fine. They usually do that when they are choking, he most likely broke it up in his throat so by the time it came out it was liquid. My girl Anning loves to gobble her food and this has happened a few times, shakes the both of us up!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts