Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my new rat (yet to be named) has decided that I look at her too much, I guess. She was napping in her igloo and I kept looking in there to check on her (I'm a nervous new mommy) and she did the cutest thing! She took some of the litter from the floor in the igloo and with her little paws just started piling it up in front of the door. Not trying to get rid of it, cause she even pulled some in from outside to complete her little door. And she just piled it up until I couldn't see inside.

I'm kind of hurt by this, but I'm also amazed at how smart she is. She was tired of the giant eyeball looking at her and she did something about it. Now if I could just get her to learn to go down the ramps in her cage. She can go up but then gets stuck and tries and tries to get down until I take her out and put her back on the bottom floor. :roll:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Ah, my boys do that too. They also shove the bedding against all the walls of the cage to prevent looky-loos. The ratties want to hide, that's natural I suppose. As for the ramp thing, just let them be, they'll figure it out without help. Some rats take a while to get used to the ramps after being in an aquarium for who knows how long, or just getting used to where everything is in their cage. ;)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
yeah, picasso *can* get down her ramps, but she prefers to ungracefully leap off of them, so they'll figure out their own way down, lol. that "don't look at me" nesting is pretty cute though. :D when they act like prissy little people is the best thing ever.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hehe, yep, the first time my beloved Butts did that to me, I was kinda offended, too! Before I moved her cage next to my desk, I'd always go look to see if she was sleeping on her head (so darn cute), and she'd put up with me staring for a minute, then pull paper over her head.

as far as ramps... mine won't use them to go down, either. they just flop to the bottom of the cage - your girl will probably do this once she knows the cage better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts