Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, friends! I've got a problem. My rats like to nibble on me. It's mostly fingers, and it's usually completely harmless. If I reach out to pet them, they'll usually want to sniff me too, and sometimes they'll put their mouth over my finger, probably because I smell like food. Please note that my rats are well-socialized and totally comfortable with humans; I can pick them up, pet them, carry them on my shoulder (just around the house; don't worry!), etc.

Anyway, I never viewed this innocent nibbling as a problem because I recognize that it's non-aggressive, simple curiosity. They never break the skin but merely taste me and then go on their merry way when they realize I have no food for them. They're both albinos, and I'm pretty sure they are both almost totally blind.

Today, I was lying on the floor with them and my hairless pranced by, so I make kissy sounds to usher her over. She sniffed me for just a moment, and then she bit me, breaking the skin under my eye. I know she didn't mean any harm, but I don't want this behavior to go on any longer in case this sort of accident happens again. Does anyone have any tips for how I can discourage this behavior?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
507 Posts
Nibbling is normal but if they nibble too hard then make a little squeak to let them now that it hurts.
I agree with this, make a loud squeaking noise if it happens again! One of my sweet girls bites and breaks the skin if you put your finger through the bars of the cage, and I helped this by carefully getting her more used to my individual fingers, I did this by putting liquid food (applesauce, baby food etc) on a spoon at first then my finger until she was more used to it. This is probably not the case with your rat because you said you were very well bonded but I was shocked when my girl bit me because we were pretty well bonded!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nibbling is normal but if they nibble too hard then make a little squeak to let them now that it hurts.
I agree with this, make a loud squeaking noise if it happens again! One of my sweet girls bites and breaks the skin if you put your finger through the bars of the cage, and I helped this by carefully getting her more used to my individual fingers, I did this by putting liquid food (applesauce, baby food etc) on a spoon at first then my finger until she was more used to it. This is probably not the case with your rat because you said you were very well bonded but I was shocked when my girl bit me because we were pretty well bonded!
Thank you both so much! I'll practice my squeaking :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts