Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't understand this. Daisy poops on me whenever she is at her most relaxed. Millie doesn't really do this at all. I'll have her in my lap after some free range time and fun play, and she's get all relaxed and let me pet her. A minute ago this happened, and she got all relaxed, curled up on my chest, burrowed in my hair and started bruxing while she let me pet her head. She also was grooming my fingers and face. All of a sudden, I smell the smell and see two big raisins coming out of her back end. Then, to my horror, I see she's already left one in my hair. She hasn't done this in almost two weeks, but over spring break she did it a lot. She'd be nearly asleep in my lap or grooming herself and there'd be a pile of it on my jeans in seconds. What's going on here? Does she secretly hate me, or is rat bowel incontinence a real thing?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well rats tends to poop quite a lot anyway so if she isn't litter trained or she spends a long time out with you then it's likely you'll end up with at least a couple of poops in you hair ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well rats tends to poop quite a lot anyway so if she isn't litter trained or she spends a long time out with you then it's likely you'll end up with at least a couple of poops in you hair ;)
We're working on litter training : ) I just got a new box that adds a level to the cage and so we're transitioning from the old one to the new one. Unfortunately, it hasn't allowed her skills to improve much. She still goes everywhere but the place where I put the box and will move her poop if I dare to move the litterbox to her special spot. She's also somewhat of a corprophagist so I don't know if that has anything to do with it :/

·
Registered
870 Posts
Perhaps you should try to develop a habit of "potty breaks" at about half hour intervals put her in her litter box to see if she needs to go. If she is holding it while you hold her then when she totally relaxes she can't help but "let go."

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm so sorry but I couldn't help snorting in laughter at your post. LOOL!!

Coprophagia should be somewhat undetectable, as the type of feces that they consume is of a different consistency (soft and mushy, as opposed to solid pellets) and consumed directly from the anus (may look like grooming behavior).

I think litter training might help with the pooping problem.. just make sure they have access to a litter box during free-range time. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts