Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, Amadeus will barely chew on anything unless it is his favourite food or something. He doesn't chew on toys or hard treats or the mineral blocks I bought for him like he's supposed to and still will not touch the basic pellets in his food, just eats the yummy stuff. (I buy him National Geographic brand that has lots of dried fruits, vegetables, and nuts in it, and those are the parts that he picks out and mostly ignores the grains.) I recently had to get his teeth filed down by a vet because they were getting ridiculously long due to not chewing like he should.

The new baby rat I just got does not have this problem, only the adult one. Does anyone have any advice or a solution to this problem?

·
Registered
337 Posts
If there is no anatomical problem with the teeth I'd stop allowing him to only eat what he wants. Most of mine are not very obvious chewers. You could also offer apple branches and things, most of mine prefer twigs to wood chew toys and furniture is even better. The teeth are meant to be very long at the front so they may not actually have been overgrown.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would take a look at his teeth and make sure they are aligned properly. You can read about teeth here: http://www.ratfanclub.org/teeth.html
If the teeth are not misaligned, you shouldn't ever need to trim the teeth as they are supposed to be long, and I would definitely stop allowing him to eat only the yummy parts, i.e. stop feeding those parts to him until after he has eating the hard parts ;-)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. The vet who checked him out said that his teeth were overgrown and needed to be filed. She didn't seem to notice any misalignment, but then again, he may have been not cooperating much when being examined. I will check on that.

My boyfriend also suggested soaking wood in a flavored water to make him more likely to want to chew it. Is that a good idea?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My rats don't chew on much (except Iris, who adores plastic, sadly), but they've liked apple sticks. Also you could soak some sticks or pop-sickle sticks in some juice then let them dry out and see if they'll chew it then. Also as some people have said, make sure he will eat the other foods first, then give him the stuff he wants!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts