Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, friends!

Here is a short article about sounds that rats make, and how, with the aid of a "bat detector," you can hear their sounds.

http://www.cavyrescue.co.uk/rat-article3.shtml

(I came across this while sponsoring a little girl rat they have called Iota. She has major teeth problems, but now, she's through the worst of it. If you feel like it, look around the site. I think they're a great organization, and they do a lot of good for little furries. Plus, they have some really cute photos and informative articles.)

Whoops! Sorry I wandered off-topic there for a minute! :oops:

Anyway, I've heard my Gus (Augustus) make sounds all along. I don't mean the usual sounds, like chirping, squeaking, or bruxing. This sounds, well...more like "singing." In a very high register.

I've known my whole life that my hearing is sensitive, so maybe that's why I hear his songs. Or maybe he is louder than most rats.

He sings when he wants my attention, but mostly, he sings to express contentment. They are very short songs...maybe three notes, more often one or two...but they are pretty, and they convey information.

I loved it when, one night, I had him out, and was petting him, and he was falling asleep, but before he did, he let out one note of, "I'm so content; I feel so good."

Maybe I hear him because I'm paying close attention to him.

Anyway...does anyone else here have a rat who sings? :?:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I sometimes here some odd sounds comming from Bert that could be considered singing! Most of the time he's running around being ferocious though lol.

And I know Bert might like painting now as he was very intrigued of me writing notes with pen and looked at the lines as I created them and sniffed where I had written. I could almost see his brain tick 'It's MAGICK!' Chris thought he could smell the ink, it was pretty awesome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts