Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to power groom her or something. I sort of did a pinching/scratching motion (but not actually scratching hard obviously) and her whole body just stopped and she started vibrating!! She is also really hyper right now and running away from me then running back to me and jumping around her cage.
What does the vibrating mean??

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lol, yes and no. When females go into heat their backs/rumps become sensitive to touch and they assume the mating posture. I'm sure she knows your hand isn't a male rat, but the reaction is involuntary I think.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It is pretty funny. :) May-May arches her back and her ears vibrate like crazy, then she goes bounding away and popcorns all over the place.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes. I read that female rats will do that. I believe it had helped with them being in heat but I can't remember specifically why.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rats also hump to show dominance. The alpha in my one group of three girls humps the other two a lot, however I haven't seen any of the three new rescue girls hump. I'm sure once introductions are done there will be plenty of humping to show the new pecking order, lol. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts