Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new rat mom here. I recently adopted an 8 month old male rat from a rat breeder that had to put him up for adoption because he wasn’t getting along with other rats and needed to be alone. He is sweet as can be and has no problem coming up to us in his cage and will even climb into our hands. A couple days ago he peed on my hand while it was in the cage so I went to wash my hands (I did use a basil scented soap) and came back and he bit down real hard and tried to pull my finger into the cage, I made a loud yip sound and tried to shake my finger away and he eventually let go. The next day same thing happened I washed my hands after he peed and came back but this time he bit even harder and drew blood. I made the loud OUCH noise and he just doesn’t care. I tried shaking my finger away and he wasn’t letting go eventually I got him to stop but it was kinda scary. So I started to think maybe he hates or really likes the soap scent and he hasn’t done it since. Well tonight my husband and I were hanging out with him on the couch, he was running back in forth to us occasionally climbing on us and what not and out of no where he bit down on the inside of my husbands thumb so hard. He started saying OW OW OW and he wasn’t budging I had to come over and grab him off him. My husband is bleeding a lot and he’s actually worried he bit down to his tendon. I don’t know what to do each time it gets worse. He gives no signs as to why he decides to bit us all of a sudden and he doesn’t care if we yip, yell, shake or whatever he’s just hyper focused on biting down hard. What do we do? We really need some help cause we don’t want the next injury to be even worse. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If it's the soap, that's an easy fix. Just use some sort of unscented or minimally scented soap instead. If he's just a biter, you could continue to work with him or you could return him to the breeder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts