Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
her tumors are getting worse(more and getting bigger). it looks really uncomfortable but she isnt showing any signs of being in pain. the vet said wait until she stops eating and drinking before i put her down. shes drinking a lot of water(nearly twice as much as my other rat, who is healthy she just went to the vets last week for her check up). is there any other signs that i can look out for besides the lack of eating/drinking that would let me know when its her time? thx... ;/

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Maybe you can get a script of metacam to help with the pain? Is she too old to get a removal?

There are things I've heard that helps decrease tumor size in some rats. I'll look it up. It's an herbal remedy but at this point I would think something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx, shes about a year and a half, and has tumors all over her stomach. one is about the size of a golf ball ;/ then several small ones. the vet said if we were to do surgery it would be too risky/messy and would put her into a worse position than shes in and that theyll come right back, says hes seen a lot of rats with cancer and that shes got a pretty bad case ;/ ill check out the site, but dunno if theres much that can be done except to medicate for the pain, ty.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oh my, that does sound pretty bad. Yeah with that many tumors I don't think there is anything you could do poor thing. Just keep an eye on her, make sure she is eating and drinking enough and just look to see if she looks happy with life or not. If she no longer looks happy/is no longer playing/ does not seem to enjoy her treats as much I would say give her a really awesome couple of days/ a week with tons of treats and spoiling and make the appointment to euthanise just after that.

I'm sorry for your girly. That must be very hard to deal with.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she passed away monday ;/ i was away on vacation friday-monday night, had my little sister take her out and play with her and keep an eye on her, she took her out sunday night and she was her normal self. i came home monday night and she had passed away ;[ still havent cleaned her cage out, dunno when ill be able to bring myself to do it. ;'[

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts