Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not notice she was not eating it until the other rat I had her with died. She only eats the small pieces of fresh fruits and vegetables I give her every day. Help, what should I do?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Two thoughts, 1) You may be giving her too much fruits and vegetables. Fruit should be treated like desert and only given in very small amounts. 2) Perhaps the rat block you're giving them isn't very good. What is the exact name of it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two thoughts, 1) You may be giving her too much fruits and vegetables. Fruit should be treated like desert and only given in very small amounts. 2) Perhaps the rat block you're giving them isn't very good. What is the exact name of it?
It is rat block food that the person who sold her to me said to use. She breeds rats.

·
Super Moderator
115 Posts
I do not want more rats, it is too upsetting when they die around 2 years old.
It's extremely upsetting and a difficult decision indeed.
I almost thought this then realised the rats would still be alive anyway but at least me owning them I know I can give them the best life I could possibly give them, whereas otherwsie who knows where they would end up! thats just my feelings on it. I love rats.

How old is she? How much time can you spend with her? Is adoption worth considering?
Rats do slow down as they get older and the death of a cage mate can cause what is essentially depression. They need extra love and care and special treats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's extremely upsetting and a difficult decision indeed.
I almost thought this then realised the rats would still be alive anyway but at least me owning them I know I can give them the best life I could possibly give them, whereas otherwsie who knows where they would end up! thats just my feelings on it. I love rats.

How old is she? How much time can you spend with her? Is adoption worth considering?
Rats do slow down as they get older and the death of a cage mate can cause what is essentially depression. They need extra love and care and special treats.
She is only 6 months old and she had only been with the cage mate who died for 4 months. She seemed to ignore her. I spend as much time as she wants to spend with me as I am home almost all the time. I really love her and would not give her away.

·
Super Moderator
115 Posts
She is only 6 months old and she had only been with the cage mate who died for 4 months. She seemed to ignore her. I spend as much time as she wants to spend with me as I am home almost all the time. I really love her and would not give her away.
Then you will get her a cage mate, shes only young.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If she lives up to 2 years, you need to get her a cagemate or rehome her. Rats are very social, and they absolutely need a cagemate. Your time alone will not be enough for her, and in fact could cause her to become depressed and die at a early age. Its not fair to her. Getting pet rats, you have to understand that sometimes complications happen. I lost my one girl Daisy at 5 months so suddenly, one day she was fine and the next she was gone. Its heartbreaking, but I knew it wouldnt have been fair for Lily to live out her life all alone. Now Lily is 10 months old and happily running around with her 3 cagemates living a wonderful life compared to one all alone.
Bottom line; a cagemate is very important for a rat. A common rat owners mistake is thinking they can be there for there rats constantly but youre not available for them 24/7 and cant communicate with them. Also if you don't socialize her again with a rat, it could cause behavioral issues down the line if you choose to go back and get her a friend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did not notice she was not eating it until the other rat I had her with died. She only eats the small pieces of fresh fruits and vegetables I give her every day. Help, what should I do?
Maybe there is a lack of appetite or maybe your rat is missing its cage mate. Maybe you should take your rat to a vet because your rat can do this because of some internal illness. Or there is some food caught in your rat's throat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts