Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pinkie and Stripe have just been dropped off for castration at the clinic. I must admit being a little nervous, but felt this was best for both of them. They are 4 months old and starting to urine mark more frequently. Pinkie has also begun to resent me reaching into the cage to add food or new toys. He has not rushed towards me, but does appear more agitated. Additionally, when I lifted him the other day so I could clean their area, he turned around as if considering biting me, the first time I observed this behavior.

The shelter I work at has full-service clinic and, lucky for me, one of the veterinarians has worked with small animals and performed surgery on rats and guinea pigs. However, that still does not prevent me from being nervous. He is using Isoflurane gas anesthesia to speed up surgery recovery and suture glue on outside to lessen likelihood of chewing during healing. He is also sending home pain meds for the next few days.

My question is: It has been recommended that I house them separately in smaller cages, for the first 4-5 days to reduce climbing and prevent them nibbling at the other's incision areas. I have two small wire cages I plan to place next to each other so they can have visual contact at all times. When I finally re-introduce them into their large cage, should I anticipate any problems since they have been apart? They have been together since birth and I would like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm taking Zeeky in to be neutered next week. I'm super nervous. I've avoided doing it for a while, but he's been getting progressively more aggressive toward my other 3 and has caused a few bloody injuries. Not major, but enough to cause blood and scars. He attacked Buddy the other night and sort of ripped open the edge of his nose and that was the final straw. (we was all puffed up and huffing when I pulled him off Buddy) I just hope it helps. I don't want to have to separate him permanently from the others.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts