Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so I have asked this question in private to a couple people, but I have gotten mixed answers and I'm really confused. I'm a new rat owner, and my two 1 year old girls are being treated for mites- we gave them their first treatment on saturday morning. So my question is..... can I still take them out to play, or will the mites get into the carpet and then re-infect them? The vet said that these mites can't infect humans. I really want to know the anwser to this, now that schools out and I finally have time it kills me I can't play with my girls.

If your rats have had mites, can you help me out? ???

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
If you are using revolution, the answer is yes. Your rats are protected for about a month and they literally become mite killing magnets. Let them free range everywhere they usually go attracting and killing mites as they move around.

If you are using something other than revolution then you still have the issue of eradicating the mites by other means in the cage and around the house.

As to you personally, rat mites really can't hurt you unless you are allergic.
Best luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't had mites , (that I am 100% sure of, I might of had one case with out knowing,) in my 10 years of rat experience, but I have some quick answers from what I /do/ know.

My first rat had flees, and he got depressed quickly when I stopped taking him out. I took him out anyway because I couldn't bare to see him sad. I took him out anyway, and played with him. With rat flees, they are large and obvious, and he was completely infested twice. Rat mites and flees don't transfer to humans, but can sit in fabrics. I never had carpet, or mites, but this is what I think would happen;

The mites could transfer to the carpet, as well as your cloths, but they can't live without the rats. I think that because they are being treated, you can, (and should,) still take them out and play with them, but the carpet might be an issue. They won't be able to live with out the rat, but unfortunately, from what I have read, they can live from 10 days to 3 weeks without the rat to feed on, but this isn't the end of play time.

What I would recommend, would be putting down a bed sheet and put play toys and climbs and interesting fun things on the sheet. That way, at the end of play time, you can throw the sheet in the wash, and an average dryer cycle will take care of any pests left on the sheet. If you take out one rat at a time, and give them interesting things to do on the sheet, it will make it easier to keep the rat on the sheet for play time.

After the treatment, they can play where ever they want, obviously, but keep an eye on them. Also, clean all of your bed stuffs if they play on your bed, and throw pillows and other fabrics that cant be washed in a dryer if they play on your bed. I find limiting rats to a bed for play time makes them easier to keep track of and make sure they aren't getting into trouble. They also love playing under blankets, and it's easier to clean a few blankets then a whole carpet.

If you can get a carpet steamer, (which I understand if you can't, this is more of an option for the wealthier rat owners,) steaming the carpet will kill mites on the carpet.

If you let your rats free roam around your room, (which I don't recommend because they can hurt themselves by chewing on wires or other harmful things in your room, as well as chew on things you don't want them to chew, like the carpet it's self,) keep your door closed so they stay in your room, and you need to 'rat proof' everything, (which is hard because they are good at chewing and destroying.) Also, free roaming rats means poop and pee can get anywhere, and, (especially because you have carpet,) can be really hard to clean, and they will stain and chew the carpet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are using revolution, the answer is yes. Your rats are protected for about a month and they literally become mite killing magnets. Let them free range everywhere they usually go attracting and killing mites as they move around.

If you are using something other than revolution then you still have the issue of eradicating the mites by other means in the cage and around the house.

As to you personally, rat mites really can't hurt you unless you are allergic.
Best luck.
I am using revolution
So letting them free range WOULDN'T make the problem last longer?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Precisely. If your rats typically free range they have most likely already spread mites all over your house, and if they didn't you did. Now that they are treated they are toxic to mites... if a mite bites them it dies. So you want them to free range all over the place and suck up any mites they have already left behind and kill them for you.

So put your rats to work cleaning your home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts