Rat Forum banner

Which rat shall be queen?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Merry, Pippin, and the Legion of Babies
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if anyone's interested or if y'all are getting tired of hearing about Merry and Pippin, but I love to talk about my babies. xD But the longer I've had them, the more and more their personalities are becoming apparent. And these two are like on opposite ends of the rat spectrum. It's hilarious to me.

Pippin is a very shy, polite, dainty little rat. She doesn't like being picked up, but if you're patient she will climb onto your hand and allow you to hold her gently. She typically only eats inside her cage but will occasionally accept a treat on the couch if it's something super yummy. If I offer her something on a spoon she keeps her paws to herself and politely links the spoon little by little. She loves to be as high up as possible, so I built her a little cardboard playhouse on top of the cage, and she usually climbs up there to hang out during free-roam time. She absolutely refuses to get down on the floor and is startled by sudden noises or movement.

Merry, on the other hand, is a fat little gremlin who zooms around the house ravenously devouring any and all food in sight. She cannot be contained. The only way I've found to keep her from getting into trouble while I'm playing with the other rats is to put her into her ball, which she willingly climbs into and then runs around crashing into everything and terrorizing the dogs. When she's out of the ball and free in the house, she gets into everything, follows people around to see what they're up to, will demand to be picked up only so she can run down your arm to get to counter tops and other places she couldn't otherwise reach, and is in general just a chaotic little beast. She also seems to really like the dogs. She's always pulling their tails, climbing on their backs, or licking their noses, and my corgi likes to lick her face and follow her around to keep an eye on her too. When I offer her treats, she grabs as many as she can possibly carry, runs off to stash them, and immediately runs back for more, and she'll come over to me eating my own food and try to steal it from me. xD

I also think it's funny that, while Merry is a good enough mom in that she feeds her babies and hasn't abandoned or eaten any of them, she otherwise just ignores them, but Pippin seems to love spending time with them and constantly checks on them to see how they're doing. She's like the cool fun aunt. lol

Here's what Merry is constantly doing.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Pet supply Primate Mammal Rodent Snout

and here's Pippin napping with the babies.
Dog breed Comfort Cloud Whiskers Carnivore

Oh, Pip is also a real heavy sleeper. She can just sleep through anything. Before I took this photo I actually got really scared because I thought she had suffocated to death under all the babies. She wasn't moving at all, and I kept nudging and poking her until she yawned and went back to sleep! xD

Registered
Merry, Pippin, and the Legion of Babies
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm... not really sure why that photo of Merry got censored, but I assure you it's just a cute little rat looking through the cage bars. There's no nudity or gore or anything. xD

Registered
I loved reading that story you are a good writer!It reminded me of two polar opposite sisters I have Mango(shy,small, resists handling) and Chutney(big,boisterous,nips me on the bum if I am not giving her attention every second of freerange).Though as Mango matures,6 m now,she is enjoying contact more.Also,if any of your rats go into a dead sleep,as you described,its a huge compliment,it shows they are very happy and trusting of you and the home you have provided for them.But ,yes,it does scare the crap outta us when we think they,re dead!

Registered
Cloud (Dark Phased Pearl) and Dew (American Mink)
fat little gremlin who zooms around the house ravenously devouring any and all food in sight
Loved this line! 馃槀 It reminds me of Cloud, she鈥檚 always curious and hungry. I think it鈥檚 pretty common to have rats with completely different personalities. I feel like there鈥檚 always a shy one and a curious one! 馃悁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts