Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiii two months ago i got two little girls and i have tried to socialize them but still after two months (now they are four months) they are scared of me! And i have tried to take them out to play and get used to being around me but i think that makes them more scared:( i dont know what else to dooo pls i need tips
Sometimes they will go to my shoulders when i let them roam in my bathroom but then they hate being carried around and they hate my hands even though they accept baby food from my fingers im getting mixed signals haha
Vertebrate Rodent Mammal Toy Fawn

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well, gambling might be forming bad habits. And the one guy is showing his hand, so let him know he'll never win like that :LOL:

Some rats never tolerate being picked up, and hands continue to be scary even though we are careful and loving. Most of mine don't like it, and only one lets me pick her up but she just tolerates it. My boys scratch me pretty good every time, and Phyllis still bites gently to tell me 'no thank you'.

But keep at it, give them some more time. Shoulder rides are great, and if you can pick them up quickly and pop her on your shoulder, talk to her and walk around. Sometimes they just need miles put on 'em.

·
Registered
365 Posts
They will get used to a routine and even if they don’t like being handled they will learn to let you pick them up and put them back in the cage after freerange,especially if you reward them with a yoggie drop.With a rat like that I normally just sit still around them and let them crawl and explore on me and just give them one light stroke down their back to let them know my handi is nothing to fear.Just because they don’t like handling doesn’t mean they can’t trust you or feel bonded to you.You know they accept you if you try putting your hand out to them and they kiss it.Also,they change as they mature so they may want cuddles when they are older.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i just keep trying to pick them up even though they seem to hate me afterwards? I was trying to let them get out of their cage by themselves but they are too shy to do that and if they do that they get in trouble and end up needing my help to get up to their cage so either way i end up picking them up lol 🐀

·
Registered
365 Posts
They will venture out on their own eventually, sit by the open cage and put treats just beyond their reach and move them further away each time.Some rats are very shy and take a long time .

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its a natural reaction to not want to be picked up. Rats are prey animals and if they are picked up they have an intuition to try to escape because in the wild a predatory animal grabs them that way and in most cases ends their life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts