Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have two female rats that are both around 5 months old. I’ve had them for two months, they both have bonded with me quite a bit and are very sweet. But I notice I’ve never seen them play. Not with eachother or me! I’ve had them run and chase a string and they like that for a few seconds then get distracted. I’ve tried handwrestling and they just don’t really seem to get it. I’m not sure if it’s just their personality’s or if maybe there is another way I should play with them/maybe I’m doing something wrong. Let me know! These are my first rats so I’m learning new things as I go :).

·
Registered
234 Posts
If they don’t play with your hands (mind don’t they just end up giving me kisses) you could try using a cat wand toy to play with them— my girls have a lot of fun chasing it around. But if they don’t take to playing then that may just be how they are! They all have such unique personalities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they don’t play with your hands (mind don’t they just end up giving me kisses) you could try using a cat wand toy to play with them— my girls have a lot of fun chasing it around. But if they don’t take to playing then that may just be how they are! They all have such unique personalities.
one of my girls loves to give me kisses, the other is a bit shyer and is coming around. They both have polar opposite personality’s and they are just so fun to watch. I will definitely buy some cat toy soon and see if they enjoy that. But overall I have noticed they love burrowing and exploring more than playing with me. They especially love to climb down my shirt and through my sleeves. They also love to climb all over me. So I know it isn’t a matter of disliking me 🥰 thank you for the advice and sorry I ramble. I love talking about my girls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
one of my girls loves to give me kisses, the other is a bit shyer and is coming around. They both have polar opposite personality’s and they are just so fun to watch. I will definitely buy some cat toy soon and see if they enjoy that. But overall I have noticed they love burrowing and exploring more than playing with me. They especially love to climb down my shirt and through my sleeves. They also love to climb all over me. So I know it isn’t a matter of disliking me 🥰 thank you for the advice and sorry I ramble. I love talking about my girls.
My rat girls are the same. They are around 4 months old, they love to explore, they love to be running all over their humans, but they don’t play.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I happened to score a huge feather (not sure if it's Turkey or what) and Turvy will always chase it ..... but not too many days in a row. so we play with it a bit and then I put it away for awhile - and so on.
I think they get bored quickly with familiar things. I've spent a fortune on things they won't play with - so now I stick to things I've come across. Toilet tissue chains are usually a hit .... as are ribbons ...... paper sandwich bags are fun for a day or two ...... new boxes or boxes in unusual shape (Yay Dollar Store!). I've tried those cat balls with the bell inside, Turvy deliberately pushed it away. But she loves tiny pine cones.
Gigi just follows Turvy - so she's my target.
Susie doesn't know how to play or she's just too old .... not sure which yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I happened to score a huge feather (not sure if it's Turkey or what) and Turvy will always chase it ..... but not too many days in a row. so we play with it a bit and then I put it away for awhile - and so on.
I think they get bored quickly with familiar things. I've spent a fortune on things they won't play with - so now I stick to things I've come across. Toilet tissue chains are usually a hit .... as are ribbons ...... paper sandwich bags are fun for a day or two ...... new boxes or boxes in unusual shape (Yay Dollar Store!). I've tried those cat balls with the bell inside, Turvy deliberately pushed it away. But she loves tiny pine cones.
Gigi just follows Turvy - so she's my target.
Susie doesn't know how to play or she's just too old .... not sure which yet.
I’ve just bought some cat calls with the bell in, one of the rats is scared of the sound, and the other is not interested. Also they completely ignore the wand with the feather on the end…. Maybe that is just the way they are or maybe they are still a bit young.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I found this when I got females. Always have males before. I think they start off this way due to the lack of testosterone. They will eventually play, even have fights with each other. I found this started to happen as they got a little older, what I suppose we call teen years. One of mine very much liked to hump the other one! Never seen a bisexual rat before lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts