Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I accidentally left one of the rat's cage doors open for a period of about four hours to find three of them asleep in their cage (most likely after a thrilling adventure around my room) and the other two still rummaging through the areas they know they're not allowed!

They both came out from hiding when i called them and I though the crisis was averted until i saw something silver glistening in the corner of my room...two foil tealight candle holders! They were full of little holes where the rats had chewed them and the edges were extremely sharp. :eek:

I've checked them and they're acting normal and their mouth's aren't cut but i'm worried about the foil in their digestive systems! Also, the remaining candlewax that should have been in the bottom was gone!

And as i'm writing this i've just worked out where they got them from, my three glass candle holders are tipped over on the shelf and completely empty. They would have had to do a lot of climbing to get to them! Oh god! It appears they've also chewed through a piece of strawberry scented potpourri!!!

It's 1:00am here and they're all acting like normal! Is there anything i can do to aidthe digestion of these objects and does anyone know if they'll be alright? I feel terrible! :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, I'm going to be completely frank and tell you I don't know how to tackle this situation or what the solution would be; but if you haven't already, call up a veterinarian who works on rodents/rats/critters/etc. and explain your situation. Choose a local one, preferably, because if you need to go in you can. Of course, if you don't have any vet nearby who works w/ rats, just call up any rat-friendly vet anywhere just to ask if your two ratties will be safe. Any information is good information.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, It's 5:30am here atm (this situation has kept me awake all night!) but as soon as the vets opens i'll give them a ring. I did find two whole candles stashed away in the rats cage so atleast they didn't eat the wax and now i'm thinking they may have just ripped at the foil to get to the candle rather than eating it. I also found a fudge bar in their cage...well the remains of an annihilated fudge bar anyway! As of right now they're acting fine but I'll deffo ring the vets asap.

Thanks again

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wouldn't worry that much.. rats are pretty smart about what they can and can't eat. Most candles are made of paraffin wax which is actually edible but tastes. :rolleyes: I doubt they would eat the foil itself just chew it because of the scented smell of the candle. I also doubt the potpourri will do them any harm as it's just scented dried plant material. I guess I'm saying these things are not good to eat but shouldn't be harmful.

If you feel worried call the vet but I doubt anything bad will happen so don't feel bad. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts