Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a young rat owner who is struggling with introducing 2 new baby female rats to my 1year old female rat. I’m stuck with what to do as one of the baby rats is disgusting with my older rat I don’t know wether this is normal behaviour or if they just don’t get along! Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They fight and squeak none stop I haven’t yet found any cuts or bites but just worried about them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This could just be the young rats being stressed about being in a new environment.
One thing you could do is separate them for a while more, and maybe just give them a break from each other. After they have calmed down, and the new rats have gotten used to the new environment at your house, try introducing them again. YouTube can be really helpful for this type of problem. They will go into detail on the best ways to introduce your rats, but my advice is to just take it slow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, yes it turned bad that night my older rat badly scratched the the baby and she was bleeding a lot I put the baby in a different cage for the night so the cut wouldn’t be messed with 😢

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a very similar experience when I was a first-time rat owner. My sweet girl Phaidra had to be housed alone after I realized that she was not a male rat, and her cage mate was (I woke up one morning to a 15-rat litter with no warning, but that's another story). Anyway, I had to get her some new playmates, but she did not take to them at all, and one of them ended up getting clawed overnight. They ended up learning to get along, and it got to the point where Phaidra pretty much adopted them as her own babies, which was adorable. I have since learned that it's important to start introductions slowly. Introduce them to each other in a neutral area (like the bathtub, or a playpen). It really helps to swap out some dirty bedding from each of the rat cages so that they all can get used to each others' scents. Next, you can start putting them in the same cage for a little bit at a time, and slowly work up to whole days (putting them back in their respective cages at night). Once they're pretty comfortable with each other, and have worked through the stages of introduction while showing a positive interest in each other, you can begin housing them together all the time. Just be sure to separate them and go back to the previous stage if they start fighting. Also, remember that rats naturally will play-wrestle and power-groom, and this is normal. Rats are pack animals, and they will quickly establish a social hierarchy. This is normal, but if it turns into fighting, you should throw a towel over them immediately and separate them. Never touch fighting rats, as they can easily accidentally bite you. I hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts