Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These girls are so spoiled, and they don't even really know it!

I went and bought all sorts of goodies for the Suebee's mix (well, a slightly modified version), and as I was mixing it together, I couldnt help but taste some of the stuff- total, Kashi puffed 7 grain cereal, roasted soy nuts, rolled oats/barley/other yummies- these girls have it made! Yummy, healthy stuff all around. I also bought a whole bunch of frozen things- broccoli and soy beans, carrots and corn. Frozen tastinesses.

And here I sit like a chump, and eat my salad (okay, they share that with me), my pizza, my hamburgers... I should just give up and eat rat food!

·
Registered
216 Posts
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I made up my first batch yesterday. It's yummy stuff. I got the Kashi puffed 7 grain cereal too and also organic rolled 7 grains in the bulk bins. My two year old ate a bunch of the soynuts, so I have to get some more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ok, I did the same thing tonight and my mom started eating it when I was mixing it. The thing is, I couldn't find the Soy beans that didn't have salt added, so i got the unsalted frozen ones and left them in the oven for 20 min. Is this ok or should I pick every single one out now? o-0"

·
Registered
216 Posts
I dont know. They are a bean, so I would think that they would take longer to dry than that since they are so dense. Are they crunchy? you don't want them to go bad. Maybe you could keep the mix in the fridge, just in case.

I couldn't find unsalted in our bulk bins, I had to go to the snack isle where they had them packaged.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Raw beans have alot of liquid. An edame bean is more than twice the size of a soynut. So I would guess that unless they shrunk by half they are still not dried out.
I would think that you could also freeze the mix. Take out a serving at a time and give it a little time to thaw. I bet that the frozen kind are better for rats than roasted anyway. Maybe you discovered something!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't find soy nuts, either. Alone, anyway. I finally found a package of Archer Farms (the nice Target brand) mix called "Soybean Cherry Nut Train Mix" It has soybeans, raisins, pepitas (wtf IS that? The only thing I couldn't figure out looked a little like a pumpkin seed, I assume that's it) almonds, cherries and cranberries.

It didn't look like there was a lot of added sugar or salt in the ingredients- sugar was only in the cherries and cranberries (so I ate a bunch, in case they were bad for the girls! :lol: ), and no salt... so that might be an idea if anyone else is stuck for the soybeans.

There's a frozen Suebee like recipe I found somewhere (I think not on this site) that uses frozen soybeans. Maybe you could try that if you were left with a ton of edame?

·
Registered
216 Posts
There's a frozen Suebee like recipe I found somewhere (I think not on this site) that uses frozen soybeans.
Hey, if you think of where you saw that recipe, I would be interested in seeing it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't remember, I'm afraid, but I wrote it down so I could buy everything- here's what I wrote:

1/2 packet whole wheat pasta, cooked
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1 can chickpeas (I couldn't find) or lentils (I could, but dry. I'm assuming I need to cook them, too).
1 can mixed beans (red, kidney, butter, soy, etc). I skipped this too, since I thought I would share a little with my girls and I don't like beans.
1 large packet frozen peas
1 small packet frozen corn
1 packet frozen broad beans --or--
1 packet frozen soy beans (which is what I went with)
1/2 packet frozen broccoli, chopped
1/4 small pumpkin, chopped and cooked (I didn't get this)
1 sweet potato, chopped and cooked
Any other freezable veggies like carrot

Then it says you just mix everything together like Suebees, and freeze. Pull out a couple spoonfulls for dinner and thaw before feeding to ratties. Or not, if it's a hot day, I guess! They also suggest stiring it during the freezing process so that it's not all one giant ice block, which seems smart to me!

·
Registered
330 Posts
i was juat thinking that they eat exactly the same as me..i guess that means im eating rat food..but i mean im sitting there with tofu soy beans homus and all these green veggies (vegetarian...dont start on its natural to eat me bla bla bla)and then i lok over and my rats are like eating exactly whats on my plate..it wasa a spooky moment

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the recipe.
Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans. :)

I wonder if one could freeze servings into ice cube sizes. Then it would be easy to take out a cube instead of chipping away at the ice block.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That idea was mentioned on the food thread (I added the recipe there). That might be a really good idea, and then yeah, you could just pick one or two little blocks, pre-portioned. I'll have to try it when I make this stuff up.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I like the frozen diet idea... and I like the look of the ingredients. Neat!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts