Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've noticed this the last few weeks. none of my three boys will chew on anything anymore. i'm worried about their teeth growing.. zeekies are already looking a little longer than usual..

i have wooden chew sticks, a edible hut type thing, and a bunch of harder treats.. and some other things in the cage as well.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
330 Posts
they might be in pain when they chew/eat. are they eating properly. but i dunno ,im just guessing maybe w8 for someone like forensic before you do anything drastic.

·
Registered
407 Posts
simbakitten said:
they might be in pain when they chew/eat. are they eating properly. but i dunno ,im just guessing maybe w8 for someone like forensic before you do anything drastic.
I was going to say the same thing - thats what Id do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've been using the suebee's mix, but I also give them brocolli, carrots, apples, cucumbers, and yogurt drops from time to time. This is what I've almost always fed them, and I've had all three of them for a little less than a year now. This has never been a problem before, and they're all eating right.. I'm just not sure what to do.

I'm wondering if maybe getting some new different chewing things to put in the cage will help? I think I'm going to try taking out all the old stuff and getting all new and different chewy things. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should try?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Unless they have malocclusion (where their teeth keep growing because they're not aligned properly to wear down - I don't think your rats would have that because I'm not sure that's something that could just spring up, and regular chewing wouldn't have kept their length down if they had it), they don't really need to chew on anything like other rodents do. Rats grind their teeth together to keep the length down. My rats rarely chew on anything except fabric sometimes, and their teeth have always been fine.

Of course, getting them new chewthings would be great! But if they don't chew anymore, I wouldn't worry about it, unless they stop eating normally, and then it's time to see a vet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said about the teeth, do you notice them bruxing?

radical said:
a edible hut type thing/quote]

Is it one of the Kaytee edible huts? If so I recommend you trash it ASAP, its main ingredient is pine shavings :(

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what it is exactly, but it's definitely not Kaytee.. I know what those look like. My mom bought it for them and she assured me that it was made of aspen.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Most edibile huts are mostly pine and alfalfa. Even if its cedar, still might have alfalfa.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're chewing on things and acting normally again, but I took the hut out of the cage just in case anyways. I just ordered an awesome new plastic one for them. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts