Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I've had my dumbo rats since April of 2015. They haven't grown much since I've gotten them (they were in the store since the beginning of March 2015 and they were small). Their sister (I'm assuming it was a litter mate since all 3 came in the same day and in the same carrier) was a white hooded rat. Her hood was gray. However, I'm a bit lost about my rats morph.

I've read the variation page, but I'm still unsure. I was told mine are Himalayan morphs, but I'm not too sure. They're also quite small (or so I've been told). These are my first rats and I'm not sure how big they could actually get. I only have a frame of reference to the medium male rattus norvegicus we have at the supplies store where I work.

Here are their descriptions:

Ana: Skinny, about 6 to 7 inches long (nose to base of tail - tail was not measured). White with pink/red eyes. Faint brown mark/spot on top of her nose. She has a larger more dark brown spot at the base of her tail. I once thought it was dirt and tried to clean it when I cleaned their tail - didn't come off, determined it was part of her fur.

Elsa: Rounder, larger about 8 inches long (nose to base of tail - tail was not measured). White with pink/red eyes. Faint brown mark/spot on top of her nose, though it is darker than Ana's. Here is Elsa.

Here is both of them. Awe! Look how cute! :)

Would anyone be able to possibly lead me in the right direction?

*I will note that I did not get them from a breeder. I bought them from the pet supplies store I work in - no one wanted them and I bonded with them.*

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
My apologies. Their sister's hood is brown. Here is a picture of all three of them: Ana and Elsa are in the back and Savannah (purchased by a co-worker) is in the front . It was uploaded to my Facebook March 12, 2015. They were probably there as early as March 10, 2015. Their birthday was probably sometime in early January as they come the the store a couple months old (or so I've been told).

Also, when I took Elsa to the vet on June 8, 2015 (I thought she had a URI but the vet said she just had a glandular problem behind her eye that causes her eye to bleed - anyone ever heard of this?) she weighed a little over 1 gram (I think they said, or maybe it was 100?) I just know it was in the "1". I think her precise weight was 1.28 (or 128.00) though, it wasn't on her sheet that the vet printed out so I cannot be 100% sure.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Himalayan or Siamese. I was told the difference is when they're babies.
One starts out as a creamy beige colour and generally becomes white and develops the brown.
The other, I believe, starts out looking like a PEW and develops the brown. (Or maybe already has them and they just get darker?)

I'm not exactly sure though. I have two boys like yours, and I think that's what people told me if I understand correctly.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Regarding the 'glandular problem' causing the bleeding eye.. sounds to me like it's just porphyrin, and your vet isn't all that knowledgeable with rats. It's not uncommon for there to be more porphyrin when something irritates their eyes.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
They are either Siamese or Himalayan like Fraido said, though I am gonna guess Himi as Siamese is usually a creamy color and himis are white. Your girls look pretty white though it can be hard to tell in pics.

To continue on what Fraido said, Siamese start off colored and the color fades and they get points. Himis start off pure white and then develop points. In truth there is ZERO way to tell the difference for sure unless u know their genetics or saw them as itty bitty babies. Because even more so with pet store rats, bad breeding you can end up with very light siamese that seem white. Or himi's with darker points. And some siamese do have lighter points.

As for size, female rats stop growing around 6-8 months. An adult will weight somewhere between 250g-450g, it can really differ. Some are larger and some smaller. I have 10 girls and some are so tiny and others larger.

Also just a note, there is no grey in rats. We call grey blue :)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Also just to show off my baby lol
This is my siamese boy Dean. You can see how much he changed from a baby! He was the darker baby in the pics...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ana and Elsa are himalayans and Savannah is an agouti hooded.Rats sometimes get dried mucus-discharge just like dogs or cats do, except that in rats its red and called poryphin. It may just be from them getting used to their new home, dusty bedding, or allergies. I can assure you it isn't blood and I'm pretty shocked your vet told you that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a link to a thread describing the many variations of rats:
Thank you but did you read my post? I said I've already looked at that page but still wasn't sure.

Regarding the 'glandular problem' causing the bleeding eye.. sounds to me like it's just porphyrin, and your vet isn't all that knowledgeable with rats. It's not uncommon for there to be more porphyrin when something irritates their eyes.
Thank you for your previous post. I think they may be Himalayan based off of all the posts I've read below your post. They are very white with just those brown points (which did develop as they aged). I was told my vet is certified/trained in small animals; that's why I took her there.

They are either Siamese or Himalayan like Fraido said, though I am gonna guess Himi as Siamese is usually a creamy color and himis are white. Your girls look pretty white though it can be hard to tell in pics.
To continue on what Fraido said, Siamese start off colored and the color fades and they get points. Himis start off pure white and then develop points. In truth there is ZERO way to tell the difference for sure unless u know their genetics or saw them as itty bitty babies. Because even more so with pet store rats, bad breeding you can end up with very light siamese that seem white. Or himi's with darker points. And some siamese do have lighter points.

As for size, female rats stop growing around 6-8 months. An adult will weight somewhere between 250g-450g, it can really differ. Some are larger and some smaller. I have 10 girls and some are so tiny and others larger.

Also just a note, there is no grey in rats. We call grey blue :)
Thank you for the information! :)

Ana and Elsa are himalayans and Savannah is an agouti hooded.Rats sometimes get dried mucus-discharge just like dogs or cats do, except that in rats its red and called poryphin. It may just be from them getting used to their new home, dusty bedding, or allergies. I can assure you it isn't blood and I'm pretty shocked your vet told you that.
Yes, I'm aware of porphyrin and it's color, though what I wipe from her eye is very dark maroon colored and looks very much like a scab. Also, I've had them since April. It's now almost November and she still gets this occasionally, so it's not due to getting used to her new home. I've also changed the bedding I used because the bedding was very dusty and making them sneeze a lot.

I'm thinking my vet may have been referring to chromodacryorrhea.

Thank you all! I'm now confident that my rats are himalayan rats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts