Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
My rats did the same thing when I first got them. Nothing to worry about unless they stop eating completely. If you have recently got them they are probably just a little nervous. They should eventually warm up to you and their environment.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah, a couple of my rats are still nervous out of their cage. The youngest one whimpers a lot when I hold her at first. It takes her a moment to realize that things are okay and then she poops on me. She's not been 100% relaxed, but she gets to the point where she'll take the food I offer her. But when she's nervous, she'll scamper right past that food while surveying her surroundings. It's all about priorities for her.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh okay i try to feed my rats there fav food and they licked it off on a spoon but when i move it more near me they stooped and go back

·
Registered
383 Posts
oh okay i try to feed my rats there fav food and they licked it off on a spoon but when i move it more near me they stooped and go back
Yeah, sounds like they are willing to eat within a comfort zone. Being too close to a potential predator is not enough for them to let their guard down.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Oh okay thanks would they get used to me and come up to me and eat
It takes time. I'm still new to this too, so I'm mostly repeating what others have said. It can take weeks for a rat to acknowledge that you are a part of its life. As I've read (from Rat Daddy, I believe), pet store rats have a pretty miserable existence. They're taken away from mom, they're shoved in a box with a bunch of rats they don't know, they're shuffled around from cage to cage with other rats they don't know, they get picked up and prodded by many humans (especially small squealing humans), and they get thrown into another box for a car ride home. By the time they reach their new home, they're still too shaken to appreciate what they have. You're just another one of many humans who gives food and then walks away.

I've been reading the Immersion guide. I've also read from its detractors, so I feel like I know what I'm getting into. The guide seems to make sense. Spend time with them in a rat-proof room and let them explore you. I have a 6-week-old rat who always whimpered and pooped when I brought her out of the cage. After a few minutes, she'd calm down a bit and want to run around on my arms and shoulders, but I couldn't let her get far because my home isn't rat-proof. Then I blocked off a 6'x4' area and sat down in it with my rats. The little one explored the area but mostly ignored me at first. Then she started poking and nibbling on me. After about an hour, she started running up onto my lap, got skrtiched, and bounded away. This happened a few times. Later that evening, when we picked her up, she wasn't whimpering.

So get yourself into a pen. A room is probably good too, but get some plywood or something and erect a pen. Make sure the pen is secure. Rats will push the limits and try to push apart seams. After a while, they'll be done exploring and will go see what this big lump is up to. If you have a treat on hand, you can reward them for jumping up on you. Then they'll associate being on you as a happy thing. When I read Rat Daddy's Immersion guide, I couldn't imagine sitting there for hours. But I brought reading material. When the rats came to explore, I'd put down the reading material and talk with them. When they're exploring, I'll bide my time with reading.

I can see where people are coming from when they speak out against the Immersion guide. But if they're just shy, I don't see anything wrong with sharing space with them until they're ready to trust you. Animals tend to be less fearful of humans when they see them around all the time (which is why deer and raccoons can be so brave around people). And if you give them food and play with them when they come up, they'll realize that people are actually pretty cool.

Obligatory caveat: I've only been owning rats for a month, but I've learned so much in that time. Still, I'm a newbie too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts