Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having trouble with my new rats. One of them will run away as soon as I open the cage and the other one freaks out every time I hold him, if I'm lucky enough that he'll let me take him out. I've had them for three days. They were better yesterday than they were today. Should I be worried? Any advice?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Neither of them have bit me. But my hands have scratches all over them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You need to be extremely careful with them. Sounds like my first two boys. This happens when the rats arent socialized enough by their breeder. Mine took a good year to be extremely social with me, now the one thats left (the other passed) greets me when I enter or leave a room, runs to me and lays in my lap and wont leave me alone when I clean their cage. It takes a very long time and a lot of effort, you cant push them too hard too fast or they lose their trust for you, Holding them and grabbing them is not a good idea, you have to get them to trust you first by hand feeding them treats, and eventually they'll realize interactions with you are positive. Lightly petting them when they sit still, not chasing them with your hand is a good idea as well. Let them come up to you on their own terms.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got them from an ad on Craigslist, when I met her she said they were both super friendly. But they're actually pretty skittish. Thank you though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well, they were friendly to they human they had bonded with. Give them time and they'll bond with you. Read up on some of the trust training threads, maybe. They're pretty helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts