Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my little girls since Monday and I've noticed that they sneeze a good bit. I've never owned any rats before so I dont know if that's normal or not. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I got lucky, but I have heard that most rats come home with myco, an upper respiratory infection that needs antibiotics, left untreated I've heard it goes downhill quickly, and I'm sure other more experienced rat people can elaborate. There was a post not too long ago about how much sneezing was normal or whether they are getting use to new bedding what not, maybe check it out. ^ ^ They are too cute!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
All rats have myco, but it's usually dormant, in a fashion. In rats whose immune systems are compromised by something it can 'flare', causing illness.

However, with new rats, if the rats isn't displaying other signs of illness the rats may be getting used to the smells in your home.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope they're just getting used to the smell. I burn a lot of incense in my room, though I haven't burned any since I've had them. You don't think that will bother them, do you?

·
Registered
63 Posts
There was someone else I read that won't let friends with smelly hairspray in their house, so a room with incense smells in the curtains/bedspread etc I might say would aggravate them a bit.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Burning incense would likely irritate them, I'm sorry to say.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds like new home sneezies...which go away in a week. But that is not to say they are not sick. Its not something to shrug off. Keep an eye on it. No insence when they are in the room. Its tough, but you need to hold off.

Keep watchin them. BTW they are cuties

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right. I can live without incense for the sake of the ratties. Besides, they bring a surprisingly good smell to my room, or at least good to me. The vet I go to for my cats and dog also knows about ratties, so I'll wait a couple days and if it doesnt go away, I'll talk to my parents about going to the vet, I suppose.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I believe I know the cause of the sneezing.

Late Wednesday afternoon, I came into my room and found Skye making a strange motion with her head, opening and closing her mouth and making a small "clicking" sound. She looked like she was trying to cough something up but nothing was happening and it was too late to go see the vet, so I had to settle for "if she's still doing it in the morning, we'll take her to the vet then"
Well, Thursday morning, for the short time I saw her before I had to go to school, she seemed fine, though that may have been because she was eating. However, I got home from school and a couple hours later when I went back to my room, (from doing homework in my kitchen and eating, so it was quite a while later) and noticed she was doing the same thing again.
Once again, it was too late to get a vet appointment that day, so we scheduled one for today at 3:30, as soon as we could to after school.
I took both Kenya and Skye, since they had both been sneezing. When I had gotten home and started to take them out of their cage, I noticed red stuff around Skye's nose, and I had thought I saw a bit around Kenya's, but she moves and hides too fast for me to really see.
Anyway, we got to the vet's office and I was actually very releaved to find out that it was just some sort of respiratory problem. You might think "well thats horrible!" but after 3 days of me worrying and the problems I thought it COULD have been, it was a huge relief. Both my little babies got shots that should take full affect by Sunday. The vet that we have (who I have known for the past... over 5 years, and who has taken care of 2 car-accident kitties, a very sick puppy, and other random animals of ours through the years) was explaining to me the exact problem as she gave Kenya her shot and put her up, however, I don't remember what exactly she said, because after she had given Skye her shot, Skye crawled into my hands and stayed there so I was comforting her.
I still dont know what EXACTLY the problem is, but some sort of respiratory thing... The paper we got from the visit said they got "Antiinflammatory injections"
Also, it cost us less money to take my ratties in to the vet than it does to take our cats or our dog... just thought that was weird. Anyway, I'm so happy that they'll be better soon, and aren't as bad as they could have been!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts