Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My rat, Mischief ("Missy") has been acting weird for several days.

She doesn't eat or drink, she has been seeming depressed, she isn't active, she is weak (I flipped her gently on her back, and usually she just gets back normal very easily, but she cannot move very much).

I am really concerned, about here. here are some things that MIGHT affect her health.

~Her best friend recently died
~I got a new rat (She is about 6 inches long from nose to tail, albino, and a female)
~We have a cat in the house (The cat shows no interest in the rats)
~I changed her food type ( Kaylee's fortified daily diet [for rats and mice] I pick out ALL of the sunflower seeds)

Any info on her change of behavior would be highly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
How old is she? You definitely have to make sure she is eating and drinking. Try chicken or turkey baby food and see if she will eat it. Offer her water frequently. If she isnt feeling well and cant move much, she may need assistance with drinking. Offer water in a small bowl if you havent already tried that. You can also try some childrens pedialyte to drink to keep her hydrated. Not sure whats going on but sounds like a vet visit is needed as soon as you can. Keep us updated. Has she had any respiratory/myco symptoms?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think she has had respirator symptoms, she had a bloody nose last night, and she wheezes slightly when she breathes.
I'm not sure how old she is, but she was 8" nose to tail when I got her, and that was September 27 this year.

I moved her hammock (her favorite place to sleep) down to the bottom level, because she fell half-way off and she was trying to get back on, she nearly fell down 3 levels!
She might have tried to eat, because when I went to check on her and she had one arm in the foodbowl, but she was too weak to get her paw out...

I'm a minor and I cannot afford to take her to the vet, I will try to get money ASAP to take her though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
she also has this weird pinkish liquid inside her mouth, we tried feeding her Gerbers brand turkey flavored baby food with a dripper, but she refuses to eat...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is now having extreme trouble breathing, she has to stretch her head out very far to breath, and her mouth has to open, sometimes she makes odd noises when she opens her mouth to breath, also.

·
Registered
581 Posts
http://www.joinrats.com/RatHealth/SOUNDS/HealthyOrSickSqueaks/
If you could, you may want to listen to these and see if these sound like anything your rat is doing. Honestly, all of these sounds are very alarming and don't add up well for your rat. I understand if you can't take her to the vet but she sounds really ill. You may have to force her to eat a bit. If she's a clean freak and doesn't like being dirty, squirt the baby food on her front paws and let her lick it off. She needs to eat and she needs veterinary attention. Open-mouth breathing can be a sign of severe pneumonia or lung disease and these illnesses at this stage can kill. I don't mean to scare you or make you feel bad, but this is serious and your rat needs veterinary attention soon ​or she is likely to die.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Missy sounds a little like group 4 to me...

And she isn't exactly the clean one, that's the other rat's job. I've tried everything to get her to eat,

·
Registered
996 Posts
Forget about getting her to eat and get her to a vet ASAP, unless you want a dead rat on your hands. She sounds like she's going through what killed my Bartok. He stopped eating and moved his head to try to be able to breath. He was dead within a few hours. Go to the vet.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will do everything possible to try to get veterinary attention stat. It might not be possible though, I am going to try my best though.

·
Registered
966 Posts
That is not good. Unfortunately sounds. Like time may be running out for your furbaby. Really needs a vet asap, which I know is hard for you to get to right now, but its only option at this point. :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@FallDeere- I saved my money for months, every penny. So after spending almost $300 on building a big cage, getting supplies, etc. I unfortunately don't have enough left to take her to a vet. Keep in mind I am but a minor, with limited opportunities to make money.

LeStan82- I wish I could take Missy to the vet, truly, but I simply cannot. My mom says that they most likely cannot do anything for her, a somewhat (not as serious) similar problem occured with my former Guinea Pig, Pookie. She wasn't eating or drinking and couldn't walk around (Which was from sores, not from weakness), we took her to the vet ASAP and she passed a few days after. I honestly wish I had enough money to take her to the vet, she means so much to me and my family it will feel like part of us has left if she passes....

·
Registered
996 Posts
That's exactly what's bothering me, though... You're a minor with no income. Rats are expensive and vet bills are... Well, let's just say I DO have income and I'm kinda broke due to my rats' health issues (The rat in my avatar cost me $800 in one month earlier this year). Without your parents' support, you can't afford vet bills which isn't really fair to the rats if your parents aren't on the same page as you.

Before I had real income, I had saved up over $500 from birthdays and Christmases and within six months of having rats, it was gone. Poof. Without income, no amount of saving prepares you for the cost.

It is possible there's nothing the vet can do, but you honestly never know. Rats, despite being ridden with a myriad of health issues, are extremely resilient creatures that can bounce back very well.

I hope everything works out for you and your rat. <3 I'm sorry if I sound mean or rude... I just hate that a rat is suffering.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am so sorry about the situation. Sending prayers your way for your sweet baby.

You're stuck and I understand. This is ignorance on the part of your parents and the best we can do is comfort you and advise you to try to make them understand if you can. You clearly pampered her with the huge cage and wanted best for her. I am so, so sorry.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really Don't know what to do, should I just stop the whole rat sha-bang in general when Missy and Rosie pass? I am an extreme animal lover (Thus my being a vegetarian) and I also despise seeing animals suffer. If it means I wouldn't be (in a way) Killing any more rats, then I would stop with the rats without a fuss. It truly is heart-shattering to watch my babies in extreme pain, and I would do anything never to have to make an animal go through that again...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't rag on her for owning a rat and not being able to afford a large vet bill...that's ridiculous...a rat costs $10 or potentially free depending how you get it. Depending on timing in your life you may have had money at one point to afford a vet bill and things happen where you became broke. Out of all animals people would think rats are a cheap pet to own..and in general they are. I am a college student who is literally completely broke. I had absolutely no idea how much my babies were going to cost me. This last bout of pneumonia my Rose currently has cost me $125 cuz my boys were sick as well and luckily they gave me antibiotics for the two of them also without having to pay a vet visit for all 3 of them cuz the doc did me a favor. I had no idea I would've racked up $300 in vet bills alone in the 6 months I have owned my rats. I am very lucky because I am currently in a bad position also (just finally got my job on the same day she got sick) and my mom was nice enough to loan me the money to take her to the vet or she would've died. I was not in this financial position when I bought my rats and nobody ever expects to see their bank account hit 0.

Depending on how large of a city you live in, my smalltown vet only costs $35 for an office visit and antibiotics were very cheap as well and in my larger town I live in now the visit is $50. I would recommend calling around to every single vet within a half hour radius and check prices and see if your family could afford any of those. That is assuming that your rat wouldn't need any kid of weird tests or things like a "hospital" stay I guess and she does sound very sick so I'm not sure that antibiotics would be able to save her at this point unfortunately. That would be your decision to make whether you think it is too late. I am really sorry that this has happened. it is not your fault that your rat got sick and it's not your fault that you can't afford to take it to the vet. I can't imagine being in your position. We are all here for you. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I agree and disagree with what has already been said, and I apologize if I'm parroting, but I thought I would comment. I understand where other users are coming from in terms of money and being able to provide for an animal. No one loving in a small apartment should ever own a greyhound, for instance. However, this owner has just said that she spent $300 on giving them the best cage that she could. Is that irresponsible? Is it irresponsible for her to be posting on here, desperate for advice on what to do for her rat?

I will say that some money should be put aside, but as the person above said, not everyone expects these vet bills. I certainly didn't expect to pay $250 on my rats in the first few months. I am a minor and do not have a job as well. I scrounged for that money. My saved money was gone at that point. Maybe I didn't save enough, but now I know different. Badgering her on no having saved to this point is ridiculous. She can't do anything about that now and you're not helping Mischief one bit. She does need to go to the vet but not everyone is always in the position to do that.

So, may I make a suggestion? Explain to your parents that if a dog in the house had pneumonia, they would certainly go to the vet. Many people make distinctions like this. Some people can't stand the idea of rats as feeders, but who sits and thinks about the cricket's life they're feeding instead? These rats are important to you and they need attention. Be honest with your parents and say you'll work off whatever it costs. And then work as hard as you can for what they want you to. Prove to them you'll pay it off and they might help you later. They simply might not have your mindset that just because rats are cheap to buy and don't live long, that they can be replaced without a thought. You can say that's not right but I myself make distinctions in life. I never really considered how the crickets felt when I have them to my lizard but the idea of feeding rats bothers me. Show your parents your world and prove their worth to them and they may reconsider.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts