Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was at Petland looking in their small animal section and finding stuff to add to the cage I have ready for when I (eventually) bring my babies home.
Of course, I had to go visit the rats while I was there, as much as it breaks my heart. They had two hooded girls, and one Siamese girl in a cage. They were young.
To my suprise, the side of the cage read "We are a trio of female rats who MUST stay together, and be sold as a trio. $14.99 for all of us!"
I started talking to the girl that worked there, and I expressed how that made me happy.
(Thinking that they finally refuse to sell rats in singles, or sell two of three, leaving one alone.)
Of course, that's too good to be true, right?
The reason they had to go together is because they were all showing really bad signs of Myco flare ups... All were sneezing pretty bad.
She told me they all "had a sickness that would stay with them throughout their life and that they could never be with other rats."
I was happy that they knew what they were talking about and that they very obviously sought vet care for these three girls, but it still made me sad that was the only reason they had to go in their trio...
Anyways, my question is this: Once rats start showing signs of a flare up, it's super contagious right? You have to quarantine that individual rat until you can get it antibiotics?
And is it that if you catch it early enough, the rat can be helped, but if you let it persist for too long, it goes further into their lungs, and is then at that point unmanageable?
Just trying to learn more about Myco. My first rat very obviously had it. And in all honesty, I didn't tend to him as much as I should have. I want to learn as much as I can about sickness and diseases in rats before I decide to add more to my home. I want to be as educated as I possibly can, and I know Myco is pretty inevitable in rats.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if all rats carry it, and people say it's contagious.. Why do you have to separate rats that show signs of it then, if all rats carry it?
If that made any sense at all.. :p

·
Registered
503 Posts
You don't, really, unless it's for their own treatment purposes. Perhaps they separated them out because of a URI, not myco flare ups? I know there's a huge portion of the rattie community lately that seems to be getting these things crossed with each other.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
There are other things that can cause infections in rats, so you can't always be certain that it's myco (or it can by myco originally and then a secondary infection by an opportunistic bacteria while the immune system is busy). And it's probably not impossible to have rats free from myco if you got them from a breeder that tests them diligently, but most of us grab ours from the feeder bin. I also think I read somewhere that it can spread from mom to pups without an active flare up, but I could be mistaken or thinking of something else. Think of it like tuberculosis in humans (same mycoplasma bacteria type), people can have active infections and be highly contagious or the infection can be latent (inactive) during which they're not contagious. Usually people with latent TB are treated to prevent an active infection, but we can't really do that with our rats. If anything, know the signs of pain and distress, and if you've had a rat with a URI or other infection before, jump on treatment immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts