Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tribute video: https://youtu.be/rd4S0Mdtwsk

It's heartbreaking to post that my sweet Alice passed away Tuesday morning in my arms. Her and Tink have been fighting hard through URIs. After antibiotics and lots of love from many, her body couldn't fight any longer and found rest. My sister and I got Tink and Alice on a whim back in 2016. Immediately Alice became my shoulder rat, cuddler, and calmer to my anxiety. She has helped me fight through so many battles when my anxiety was bad. Upon meeting her, she quickly changed the mind of anyone who thought rats were unfit or gross pets. I'm an animal lover at heart, but nothing compares to owning rats. It is such a unique kind of love. Alice was a dominant rat that loved on Tink hard. She's one of a kind with her squeaking, bruxing and big dumbo ears. She has a special diamond mark on her forehead that she loved to have pet. She even won the heart of my husband who loves on our rats deeper than anyone I know. He says hi to them and plays with them every chance he gets. He cared for them and went the extra 60+ miles to make sure her last few days were as comforting as they could be. We never stopped fighting for her. There's a lot of grief and wishing that we had caught her URI sooner. I hate the what-ifs and what else could I have done. I know both my husband and I would've done whatever we could to change it and are trying hard not to blame ourselves. She was a blessing by saving Tink's life. She has such a special place in my heart and I can't help but be sad that she passed too soon. It won't be the same without you, Alice. You've gotten me through so much and it's hard to look at the empty basket you always slept in. You are so loved and you are so lovely. You'll forever be the first rat that made your way into my heart. Even at one pound, a rat so small as you has had such a big impact on me and so many others. We love you, Alice.

We had gotten three babies to introduce to Alice and Tink. I'm really sad Alice never got to truly meet them. However, Tink has officially been introduced to them and is doing well in the same cage with them. We have another rescue named Opal (an adult) that is in the process of getting ready to be introduced. No rat could ever replace Alice, but we will love on them stronger than ever.

·
Registered
132 Posts
aww, crushing video, I'm so sorry for your loss. I too lost my old boy Gus Tuesday as ell who was 4 1/2 years old, he was the first rat I ever had. I too am an animal lover and we adopted him and his brother from a lab rescue just because... My girlfriend talked me into it, wasn't really that into it... well they very quickly grew on me and now "I'm a complete rat guy", haha. So I know what you speak of. I too am suffering still going through all the emotions of this loss, so I'm right here with you... good luck with your new babies... it's going to take me a bit before I'm ready for another group, it's been hard to get over this group because of how close we were...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your video is awesome!
I'm so sorry for your loss. I type through tears.
Sweet Alice.
You will never have another Alice but I do hope you have more love just as powerful.

And Jason, your loss of Gus had been on my mind and I still wish you the best as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts