Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to start off, i recently adopted 2 girls around 12 weeks old at the time of adoption (nearly 2 weeks ago) from pets at home adoption bit, so over the course of nearly 2 weeks, I've noticed they've been eating a whole lot, constantly rearranging their bedding, sleeping alot more than my boys?? and putting on alot of weight which i thought maybe im spoiling them too much? until yesterday where when i woke up it looked they had swallowed a golf ball each??? I panicked and took them to the vets as ive always had boys and yes they are chunky but nothing like that (just wanna point out before anyone assumes, my boys have not been no where near my girls, separate cages, separate rooms and separate playtimes. The boys cage is in the living room and the girls cage is in my bedroom.) So vet examined them and i expressed my concerns and he confirmed they are both pregnant, which took me a good 5 minutes to process that i'm about to have two litters. He said they should be here in the next few days - upto 1 week. So I've had nearly 24 hours to process this and deep breaths, I'm no longer very very angry and wanting to storm down pets at home. Although i will be calling them later. The vet gave very good and detailed advice on how their births should go and if there's any complications to bring them in which he stated complications are rare. So my question here is practically asking for any advice possible. Like is tissue ok for nest making? I use bedmax is that ok? If not what should i use? Amazon links? What extra foods should i give them, i know scrambled eggs is one of them and plain yogurt, apart from their large rat cage these are the only two spare cages i have from previous rodents I've owned. Tank bottom, wired top, bar spacing 1cm. Wayfair.co.uk - Shop Furniture, Lighting, Homeware & More Online do i remove the shelves or just the bottom ladder so only the mum can climb up? I know to separate the mums into separate cages (the vet advised that) should i wait or do that now? I know these are alot of questions but i just want things to go smoothly for these little ladies and their babies, the girls are so loving and amazing personalities and i refuse to part with them. I'm planning on spending the next few days of doing tons of research also.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi and welcome Li1MissChrissy.
Congratulations on your girls and babies-to-come.
Firstly, if you are interested, you might want to have a look at our old thread called "Phantom Pregnancy".
Our first rat we adopted was a neutered male - the best boy ever. We got him 2 female friends, who very soon became pregnant because our boy wasn't neutered after all! So we had 2 litters at the same time and all the fun that went with it. A bit like your situation.
Like you, we separated them into separate bin cages before the birth (and the Dad had to live alone for a few weeks while the babies grew up and his (real) neuter worked).
We just made sure the mums had lots of food/water, cashew nuts for milk production, privacy via a little hidey house in the cage, only one level to avoid falls, and good old kitchen paper towels for nesting material. They seem to love using the paper towels and you can clearly see how much blood they have lost during delivery. We also had to upgrade to slightly bigger bin cages at a few weeks old when the babies started to zoom around and play and grow. Then they eventually went into their proper permanent cages.
Our girls are normally very friendly, but they each got a bit bitey if we put our hand in the cage, from just before delivery time til a week or so after. Then they settled back to normal. Protective mother instinct. :)
About setting up birthing cages, I would recommend the following link:

Keep us updated! Ask lots of questions. Other people on this forum will have good advice to offer - they did for us when our girls were expecting.
All the best, Ratbusters

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to you both! I'm just wondering whether i remove the shelves in the cage? Or just the bottom ladder? Also I've ordered some cashew nuts for them too 😊

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi.
Those cages look good for little rat families in my opinion.
I probably would be inclined to remove the ladder and ledges, in case the mum wants to take the babies up onto a ledge and they fall.
I guess if you wanted to you could try leaving a ledge low down for the mum to take a break... if she moves the babies up there then remove it. A bit of trial and error.
Someone else might have advice to add, but I can imagine little babies being quite happy in there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi.
Those cages look good for little rat families in my opinion.
I probably would be inclined to remove the ladder and ledges, in case the mum wants to take the babies up onto a ledge and they fall.
I guess if you wanted to you could try leaving a ledge low down for the mum to take a break... if she moves the babies up there then remove it. A bit of trial and error.
Someone else might have advice to add, but I can imagine little babies being quite happy in there.

Thank you so much! That's the only thing I'm worried about is the girls taking their babies up there, I've been letting them come out multiple times a day (more than their usual playtime out the cage) just so they can see eachother, as i can assume they have been missing eachother, no babies yet but i keep noticing they are getting bigger, Midnight looks the biggest compared the Luna x

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So checked on Luna and she’s in labor! I’ve left her alone to do her thing and watching from a distance quietly to make sure there’s no complications! Hearing the little squeaks is making me tear up 🥺

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Midnight is doing well! She went into labor a couple of hours ago, looks about 12, everything seems to be going well so I think I’m gonna try and get some sleep 😊

·
Registered
244 Posts
Awww... reminds me of when our two sister rats had litters about the same time and they had 13 and 15 babies respectively. Double trouble! Hope the mums are doing well and enjoying their babies. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mums are doing well! I was up till around 5am with midnight observing as at first she didn’t want to know the babies which was so worrying, I’ve not long woke up and they’ve got milk bands from what I can see! I’ll be doing a proper count later and weighing the little beans 😍

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Aw, babies!!! And so many of them, congratulations on the beans :giggle:

Reactions: Li1MissChrissy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Midnights baby’s are starting to go darker now 😍 and lunas babies are getting slightly more colour! Great weights too! Sadly one of lunas kits died last night, it was smaller than the rest so I’m guessing a runt 😞 but the other 10 are doing amazing!

Attachments

·
Registered
Madam Squeakster and Señorita Squeaks
247 Posts
It is very sad that one died. I hope Midnight and Luna are still doing well and taking good care of their kits. Are you going to get a larger cage(s for the boys) or are you going to adopt the babies out

1 - 20 of 58 Posts