Rat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Midnight and luna are doing very well and taking good care of the kits 馃槉 i already have a spare large cage that the girls won't be using, so I'm considering of keeping some of the boys, but I won't be keeping them all ill be finding appropriate loving homes for some of them 馃槉

Registered
Aw!!! Thanks for sharing the pics. I've never had babies, but I can see why people are so over the moon when it happens.

Reactions: ratsbian

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sorry haven鈥檛 posted in a few days, it鈥檚 been a hectic few days 馃槄 babies are doing well! Is it normal for some litters to be smaller in weight size? Like lunas is perfect weight, smallest being 19g largest 22g, then the rest 21g then with midnights the smallest two are 15g one is 16g most of the others are 17g then there鈥檚 one that is 18g, one that鈥檚 19g and biggest is 20g? Also here鈥檚 some cute pictures of them! Loving the colours, estimating by the curly whiskers midnight has 8 rexs and Luna has 4 馃槏

Attachments

Registered
This is what happened with our 2 litters: the "children" from the larger litter (15 babies) grew into smaller adults than the "children" from the smaller litter (13 babies). (We have kept some babies from each litter and they are now adults). We thought it could be because the larger litter size meant smaller babies, or it could be that the mother who had the larger litter was more petite to start with. Or maybe its a combination of both. It is very funny to see one of the adult boys (who is now quite large) next to his tiny little mother. :) (The boys are neutered in case anyone is panicking about that. LOL)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
This is what happened with our 2 litters: the "children" from the larger litter (15 babies) grew into smaller adults than the "children" from the smaller litter (13 babies). (We have kept some babies from each litter and they are now adults). We thought it could be because the larger litter size meant smaller babies, or it could be that the mother who had the larger litter was more petite to start with. Or maybe its a combination of both. It is very funny to see one of the adult boys (who is now quite large) next to his tiny little mother. :) (The boys are neutered in case anyone is panicking about that. LOL)
Oh so it's normal? Thank god 馃槀 I was panicking thinking there was something wrong, oh god I bet he's huge compared to her 馃槀 I know midnight is slightly smaller than luna, so could also be why the babies are smaller

Registered
Oh so it's normal? Thank god 馃槀 I was panicking thinking there was something wrong, oh god I bet he's huge compared to her 馃槀 I know midnight is slightly smaller than luna, so could also be why the babies are smaller
Yes. Definitely our smaller mother had smaller babies (and more of them) whereas bigger mother had bigger babies. We weighed them regularly when they were newborn so we know of their weights. (Same as what you're doing). I guess it would be reason for concern if one or some of the babies failed to gain weight. But I'd be pretty sure that gaining weight steadily = healthy baby. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yes. Definitely our smaller mother had smaller babies (and more of them) whereas bigger mother had bigger babies. We weighed them when they were newborn so we know of their weights. (Same as what you're doing). I guess it would be reason for concern if one or some of the babies failed to gain weight. But I'd be pretty sure that gaining weight steadily = healthy baby. :)
I guess the only ones I'm concerned about is the two 15g's but they are gaining weight everyday just not as much as the others

Registered
I guess the only ones I'm concerned about is the two 15g's but they are gaining weight everyday just not as much as the others
Maybe just keep weighing them regularly and if you are still concerned like if their weight gain slows down, jump back on the forum and see if anyone's got any advice.
We had a runt in the litter of 15. He was literally half the weight of the others, and he even looked a bit underdeveloped/prem. I didn't really expect him to make it. He's now a shiny black berkie boy who is very handsome and healthy. :)
Hope you're enjoying your rat babies! 馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Maybe just keep weighing them regularly and if you are still concerned like if their weight gain slows down, jump back on the forum and see if anyone's got any advice.
We had a runt in the litter of 15. He was literally half the weight of the others, and he even looked a bit underdeveloped/prem. I didn't really expect him to make it. He's now a shiny black berkie boy who is very handsome and healthy. :)
Hope you're enjoying your rat babies! 馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌馃惌
Thank you, I weigh them daily anyways, so I'm keeping an eye on their weights definitely! I definitely am it's such an amazing experience watching them grow and change each day, I love them all so much 鉂

Registered
Madam Squeakster and Se帽orita Squeaks
I鈥檓 sooo happy all the little ratties are doing well. Welcome larger mischief (I think rat groups being called mischiefs is so perfect)

21 - 40 of 58 Posts