Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are the unbeautiful people, the agouti selves, the solid wildish looking ratties. How do I make them attractive? How do I show potential adopters how absolutely gorgeous they are? No fancy markings, no hoods, no blazes, nothing to make them adorable, yet they are. They are a very unique litter, probably have some wild in there a few generations back since they came from a hoarding situation where wilds likely infiltrated the home. These girls have been handled since birth, yet they are spooky and suspicious, but also lovable if left to come to me on their own. They clamor at the cage door each morning, and it's like Girls Gone Wild on Spring Break, a river of smokey grey bodies pouring out into the carrier to go to free roam time. 馃槏 They mob me, climb inside my robe and burrow into my sleeves, just wanting to be loved, but not particularly petted or held. Still babies at 5 months old, but also very trainable. My girls 馃挄

Vertebrate Mammal Fawn Working animal Terrestrial animal
Vertebrate Pink Whiskers Rodent Fawn

Registered
They are the unbeautiful people, the agouti selves, the solid wildish looking ratties. How do I make them attractive? How do I show potential adopters how absolutely gorgeous they are? No fancy markings, no hoods, no blazes, nothing to make them adorable, yet they are. They are a very unique litter, probably have some wild in there a few generations back since they came from a hoarding situation where wilds likely infiltrated the home. These girls have been handled since birth, yet they are spooky and suspicious, but also lovable if left to come to me on their own. They clamor at the cage door each morning, and it's like Girls Gone Wild on Spring Break, a river of smokey grey bodies pouring out into the carrier to go to free roam time. 馃槏 They mob me, climb inside my robe and burrow into my sleeves, just wanting to be loved, but not particularly petted or held. Still babies at 5 months old, but also very trainable. My girls 馃挄

View attachment 309040 View attachment 309041
I don't understand why people would think these gorgrous ladies are ugly. Personally, I have always adored the agouti coats, such gorgeous colors. I'd take them all if I could.馃槅

My friends and family love the fact that one of my agouti boys looks like a wild rat, so I love to prank new people and make them think I'm the Pied Piper and can instantly tame 'wild' rats. After I explain that his coat makes him look like a wild boy when in fact he is domesticated, they totally fall in love. Also, you could play into the Sebastian the rat from suicide squad theme.

Oh crud, I love them so much, they are so beautiful!!!! :love:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those beautiful little faces!! I think these girls are beautiful, they just aren't 'pet store' Cute. I have never seen an agouti at any pet store, just the PEWs and hooded and other markings. I'm hoping a true rat lover will see their pics and want to add a couple of sleek agouti ladies to their mischief!! 馃挄馃憤

Reactions: RatHole

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unlovely? I beg to differ. They are beautiful, fierce little spirits.
How well you saw into those faces!! They are truly fierce little spirits, best description ever. Thank you Pappy! 馃

Registered
I have a agouti dwarf name berry he鈥檚 the squishiest love squish in the world he鈥檚 not full agouti thou he鈥檚 a weirdo baby :) he Has a agouti coat yet he has a white blaze on his face the breeder said that he鈥檚 very unique and he鈥檚 just so fast it鈥檚 like he鈥檚 teleporting ha 馃槉
Wood Hardwood Tail Metal Terrestrial animal

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(4) Agouti Girls free roam - YouTube

Omg, they are too cute for words :giggle: this is every morning, 45-60 minutes on the bed. I swear I would keep them all if I could, but then they'd be grownups and I wouldn't be able to afford health care all 9 of my own rattie's.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh my goodness... how sweet!! How are you and yours doing TT? Hope you're in a cool dry place for the next week or so!
Staying cool enough Pappy ;) Old house with no AC, I keep a fan going but the ratties puddle sometimes. I've since learned that it's called "splooting" where they go flat out like a lizard drinkin'

These girls though, they are something else. I love them so much, and each morning they pour out of their cage for free roam, and sometimes I add Taz and The Bean. Keeps the girls busy ..."Girls Gone Wild" or as hubs would say "The Wild Women of Wongo" :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Ha ha ha!! I'm with your old man on that!! Seriously, I worry about you with no a.c. Please don't fool around with this extreme heat. Take it slow. Ice cream for Rats and youse!!

Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
It鈥檚 all about marketing. My first agouti was Sugar, she lived longest of any rat I鈥檝e had (3 years, 8 months), and would have lived longer if I hadn鈥檛 euthanized her. I dubbed her my 鈥渁gouti cutie,鈥 and that term stuck with the vet, who doted on her. I suggest billing them as 鈥淎gouti Cuties,鈥 and calling it 鈥渢he special coat, created and approved by Mother Nature herself.鈥 Agouti is Natural, Organic, and Nature鈥檚 Own Camouflage.

Or for DC movie fans, bill them as 鈥渓ooking just like Sebastian, the hero rat from 2021鈥檚 THE SUICIDE SQUAD!鈥

Agouti Cuties. It鈥檚 all about branding, for sure! (Photo is of my recently adopted agouti boy, Duncan, who was dumped back at the rescue at nearly 2 years old, and as a very large unneutered male he鈥檚 too old/risky to bond with any of the other shelter rats, was unlikely to be adopted and incredibly depressed. I heard his story and took him in to love on him during his twilight time, and I鈥檝e found out he is an incredible sweetie who adores belly rubs and snuggles. So lucky me!)

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It鈥檚 all about marketing. My first agouti was Sugar, she lived longest of any rat I鈥檝e had (3 years, 8 months), and would have lived longer if I hadn鈥檛 euthanized her. I dubbed her my 鈥渁gouti cutie,鈥 and that term stuck with the vet, who doted on her. I suggest billing them as 鈥淎gouti Cuties,鈥 and calling it 鈥渢he special coat, created and approved by Mother Nature herself.鈥 Agouti is Natural, Organic, and Nature鈥檚 Own Camouflage.

Or for DC movie fans, bill them as 鈥渓ooking just like Sebastian, the hero rat from 2021鈥檚 THE SUICIDE SQUAD!鈥

Agouti Cuties. It鈥檚 all about branding, for sure! (Photo is of my recently adopted agouti boy, Duncan, who was dumped back at the rescue at nearly 2 years old, and as a very large unneutered male he鈥檚 too old/risky to bond with any of the other shelter rats, was unlikely to be adopted and incredibly depressed. I heard his story and took him in to love on him during his twilight time, and I鈥檝e found out he is an incredible sweetie who adores belly rubs and snuggles. So lucky me!)
Okay, I'm sold!!! I'm stealing your Agouti Cuties. We are posting pics with descriptions, and I just LOVE this!! A lot of people don't even know what the coat colors are called, so identifying them this way will hopefully make a lasting impression of these most gorgeous creatures :giggle:

Reactions: PeekaBoo

Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
Okay, I'm sold!!! I'm stealing your Agouti Cuties. We are posting pics with descriptions, and I just LOVE this!! A lot of people don't even know what the coat colors are called, so identifying them this way will hopefully make a lasting impression of these most gorgeous creatures :giggle:
I hope it helps promote these girls, but really, once folks meet these cuties they kinda 鈥渟ell鈥 themselves!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts