Rat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 5 rats keep taking turns with getting sick. The vets at my hospital generally prescribe baytril for 10-14 days. Malcolm has gotten a little sneezy and been on it about 3 times now, usually a week to 3 between bouts. So I went in this time because for the first time ever, River has gotten sick, so I went in to get her medicine and get a new course of Baytril for Malcolm.

It's been a week and two days. River's sneezing has gone down a little more than half but my vet wants me to bring her in for a culture to see what her illness is weak against. Has anyone ever heard of this? I mean I can see the use for someone with a lot of money, but with the culture and office visit, that's an entire paycheck not counting the medicine. Has anyone ever done this? Is it worth it, and in your case was it used as a first resort when your rat wasn't fixed in the first week? It seems to me to be more of a "nothing else has worked" option.
Also if Malcolm's sneezing comes back after this two weeks of treatment, she wants me to start some sort of nebulizer treatment and stop antibiotics, sort of managing a chronic illness and accepting that.. Anyone have any experience with this?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts