Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my young rats has a small lump on the right side of her body. She HAS been spayed. My Question is, are lumps ALWAYS tumors or could it be something else? We adopted her from a rescue in October and she had recently been spayed before we got her. Her hair was still growing back at that time. This small lump is sort of near where her hair was re-growing. Should I just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get bigger? Any ideas as to what it could be? I just noticed it last week. I would say it is a little bigger than a pea.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is it hard? Soft? Does it have a scab? At the sight of an incision sounds like an abcess, but a vet visit will definitely be able to help. Sometimes my hairless female gets "pimple" that are pea sized abscesses and they're hard.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It could be an abcess, its could be a tumour, it could be a fluid filled seroma from the op site. Spaying reduces the chance of mammary tumours but they do still occur, though if she's younger than say 1 this is unlikely. I'd give it a good feel, an abcess or seroma is a fluid filled lump as such they kind of feel springy like an inflated balloon, a tumour or fatty lump tends to feel softer. A hard lump would tend to be a cyst and I wouldn't expect it to grow that fast

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea from what we know she is under a year old. I will check her again this evening. Do seromas or abscesses go away or do you need to see a vet?

·
Registered
149 Posts
You may need to see a vet or it may pop on its own. My hairless's "pimples" scab over and then I pop them myself within a week, but I also just spent the morning at the vets getting a lump looked at on one of my neutered boys that was a leftover from his surgery and when they popped it, it was the nastiest, booger-green junk I've ever seen in my life. It was brewing for two months and did not pop on its own. He needed antibiotics for it, so I'd say if you're comfortable and it doesn't bother your rattie, then watch it for a week or so, maybe put hot compresses on it to see if you can draw any puss to the surface, and if nothing happens or it gets bigger in that week, is bring the rattie in. Just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You can also apply a warm wet compress to it twice a day for as long as you can get away with (challenging on a young girl lol), this can help bring it to a head. Once a scab forms if its an abcess then its a case of soaking it off. To be honest if its been a recent spay (so you can see the wound still) I would get it checked out asap, as an abcessed wound could be nasty and would tend to find it easier to burst internally, which is bad. It may still be a seroma, but its not worth the risk of it being an abcess. That way she can go on antibiotics asap. If its well healed over then its been a while ago and its more likely to be an issue from an undisolved stitch say so your ok taking your time with it, if she ever looks floppy or unwell, or any of her limbs swell up though get her to the vet asap as again it could have burst internally

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked it again last night. I do not see any wounds or scabs and the skin looks smooth. I did notice on the other side of her (a couple weeks ago) that there were a couple stitches that had not been dissolved so I guess it could be something like that under the skin. She acts totally fine... she just has the little lump. I guess I will just take her to the vet on Saturday to be sure. It may be nothing... but I would feel horrible if it turned out to be bad and I hadn't taken her to get checked out. Thanks for all your advice!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts